Weekday submissions received before 3 p.m. can usually be published the next day, or any day following.
Sunday obituaries must be received by 10 a.m. Saturday.
Monday obituaries must be received by 10 a.m. Sunday.
We publish seven days a week. Obituaries must be prepaid, charged to a credit card or billed to a funeral home. They can run an additional time at 40% off. Our published obituaries are posted on our website. We can include one or two black & white or color photos. Try to provide a clear front shot, with no shadows or sunglasses, but a good contrast to the background, in jpg format, at least 300 dpi. Photos will be cropped to highlight just the face.
When submitting an obituary, the following order is suggested as a guideline, but all submissions are welcome. It’s often a good idea to read other obituaries in print or online to see what others have done.
Personal information: Name, age, city of residence, and date and location of death.
What made them special: Education, military, career, clubs, organizations, church, hobbies, and special interests.
Survivors: Separate relationships in “levels” rather than “families” — spouse; children; grandchildren; siblings; etc. List those who precede them in death, if desired.
Service information: Visitation will be from (time) on (day) at (place) in (city, state). A (memorial, Mass, service, celebration of life) will be held at (time of day, day of week) at (funeral home, church, park, etc.) in (city, state) with burial at (cemetery name, city). Donations: Flower and/or memorial donation information.
Email: email@example.com. Please include contact name and phone number where we can reach you during the day.
Phone: (608) 755-8270
Telephone Contact Times: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Death Notices are short notices of a person’s death that include only the name of the deceased, age, city of residence, when and where he or she died, the name and city of the funeral home handling the arrangements, and short service information. Death notices are a service of our newsroom, and are no charge. They can be submitted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click on the poll question to view the full results.
Jul 14Leonard Leota Park
Jul 14Riverside Park (Janesville)
Jul 14Milton House Museum
- Humane society director leaves job
- Community blood drive set Thursday in Edgerton
- Hammy memorial ride revs up Saturday
- Milton hires Spiwak as new athletic director
- MAP: Road closures caused by Interstate 90/39 construction
- Janesville's Brian Post takes love of fishing to a new level--Bassmaster Open competition
- Fall sports on Tuesday's meeting agenda for Janesville School Board
- Other Views: Cover your face to keep the economy open
- Other Views: COVID-19 amplifies role of money in politics
- Milton moves forward with back-to-school plan
- Janesville man faces reckless homicide charge in overdose death
- Body found in south side Janesville lot
- False conspiracies swirl as Wisconsin contact tracers battle coronavirus
- St. Louis packaging company acquires Janesville-based Panoramic
- Southern Wisconsin officials express rising coronavirus concerns
- Body found during search for missing man
- Marijuana dispensary in South Beloit set to open
- St. Elizabeth Nursing Home cited after state COVID-19 investigation
- It's movie time in Janesville, COVID-19 style
- 'Hard to talk about:' Local farmer discusses prices, mental health