The Gazette in Janesville, Wisconsin, is an award-winning newspaper covering Rock and Walworth counties. The Gazette was named Wisconsin’s Newspaper of the Year four years in a row and GazetteXtra.com the state’s best newspaper website six out of the last eight years.
The Gazette and GazetteXtra.com feature news, sports, opinion, features and blogs under one unifying idea: Local matters.
The Gazette is the oldest business in Janesville.
Levi Alden and Z.A. Stoddard launched The Janesville Gazette in 1845 as a weekly newspaper with 300 subscribers. Howard F. Bliss acquired the company in 1883 and passed it to his son Harry H. Bliss in 1919. Harry's sons Sidney H. and Robert W. succeeded their father in 1937. Skip Bliss acquired the company as publisher and president in 1992. Adams Publishing Group acquired the newspaper in 2019.
GazetteXtra.com launched in 1997. The Gazette can be found on Facebook at facebook.com/JanesvilleGazette.
Readers' Choice Awards 2019
Click on the poll question to view the full results.
Jul 20downtown Edgerton
Jul 20Lake Geneva Public Library
Jul 20Rotary Botanical Gardens
Jul 20Spring Creek Golf Center
Jul 20downtown Fort Atkinson
- Cepeda: Trump and Pelosi show us why women of color struggle to succeed
- Harrison Street duplex fire displaces three
- Fair chief Randy Thompson to step back after 50 years of fairs
- Area storms cause damage, tree fire
- Home again: Bald eagles adopt rescued babies
- Thiessen: If they won't pass his trade deal, Trump should make Democrats own NAFTA
- Harsanyi: Why media's normalizing of white nationalists matters
- Milam: Is homeless question another east-west battle?
- Brodhead airport breaks ground on Kelch Aviation Museum
- Five things to know about the Rock County 4-H Fair
- Man who died in I-90/39 rollover crash identified
- Homeless man who stubbornly camped in park is gone after incident
- Contractor accused of leaving local homeowners in the lurch
- Paramedic charged with fondling patient in ambulance
- Sex offender relocating to Whitewater
- Summer fun and homelessness collide in Janesville's Traxler Park
- One person dies in rollover on I-90/39
- Death notices for July 19, 2019
- Cole N. Ansier
- Death notices for July 16, 2019