A Lake Geneva woman pleaded guilty Monday to manufacturing methamphetamine that caused an explosion in a Lake Geneva hotel last year and sent her to the hospital.

Melissa Kuen, 36, also agreed to pay her part of the more than $125,000 owed in restitution after the explosion at The Cove of Lake Geneva Hotel in the early morning hours of Jan. 9, 2017.

Kuen reached an agreement to plead guilty to one count of manufacturing meth. Other drug and bail-jumping charges were dismissed and read in to the record.

While the maximum sentence for manufacturing meth is 12½ years in prison, prosecutors will not ask for more than 1½ years of initial confinement, per the plea agreement finalized earlier Monday.

Kuen was “badly burned” after a meth cook exploded at about 3 a.m. Jan. 9, 2017, in Room 314, according to court documents and interviews with police officers who responded to the scene. Police received a separate call about Kuen, who was down the street yelling for help at another hotel.

Kuen was taken to a hospital in Milwaukee.

Patrick M. McBean, 51, of Lake Geneva was sentenced to two years in prison after pleading guilty to his role in The Cove incident. Police have said they found McBean standing in the room looking confused, with hair burned off his face, but that Kuen was in the bathroom where the explosion took place.

McBean agreed Feb. 9 to pay more than $10,000 of the restitution amount. The total amount requested by the hotel, insurance companies and law enforcement for medical treatment was $125,329.26.

Kuen agreed not to contest the restitution as part of her plea negotiations.

She also agreed to plead guilty to third-offense intoxicated driving in connection with an incident the afternoon of July 2, 2017, in Lake Geneva.

Kuen spoke in court Monday and said she has learned from her experiences. She said she has attended treatment sessions for alcoholism four times a week, and she wants to continue to rehabilitate herself.

On the intoxicated driving charge, Kuen was sentenced Monday to 180 days in jail, which could be brought down to 140 days if she attends a victim impact panel.

Kuen had to report to the Walworth County Jail immediately after Monday’s hearing. Judge David Reddy allowed her to walk there on her own with her elderly mother.

Both sides will be free to argue for Kuen’s sentence on the meth conviction at 2:30 p.m. April 27.

GazetteXtra.com does not condone or review every comment. Read more in our Commenter Policy Agreement

  • Keep it clean. Comments that are obscene, vulgar or sexually oriented will be removed. Creative spelling of such terms or implied use of such language is banned, also.
  • Don't threaten to hurt or kill anyone.
  • Be nice. No racism, sexism or any other sort of -ism that degrades another person.
  • Harassing comments. If you are the subject of a harassing comment or personal attack by another user, do not respond in-kind. Use the "Report comment abuse" link below to report offensive comments.
  • Share what you know. Give us your eyewitness accounts, background, observations and history.
  • Do not libel anyone. Libel is writing something false about someone that damages that person's reputation.
  • Ask questions. What more do you want to know about the story?
  • Stay focused. Keep on the story's topic.
  • Help us get it right. If you spot a factual error or misspelling, email newsroom@gazettextra.com or call 1-800-362-6712.
  • Remember, this is our site. We set the rules, and we reserve the right to remove any comments that we deem inappropriate.

Report comment abuse

Comments disabled.