A 49-year-old Fort Atkinson woman who is charged in Jefferson County Court with killing a dog that she was training has been ordered to undergo a mental competency investigation and have a subsequent competency hearing Oct. 8.

Tammy S. Flemming had been bound over for trial in Jefferson County on a charge of felony mistreatment of a dog causing death, but she failed to appear for a court hearing in June. This led Judge Robert Dehring to issue a bench warrant. Flemming was eventually located and made a court appearance Thursday, at which her competency evaluation was ordered.

The incident involving Flemming and Cooper, a husky-Pomeranian mix owned by a Janesville woman, occurred Sept. 11, 2020, in Fort Atkinson.

According to a criminal complaint, a Fort Atkinson police officer Adam Lawrence spoke with Cooper’s owner, Lindsey Davidson of Janesville. Davidson said the 8-month-old dog was being trained at Herman’s Hangout in Fort Atkinson and that she had received a call from the dog trainer there, Flemming, who told her that Cooper had died.

The dog owner said Flemming told her she had pushed Cooper too far and that she “messed up.”

Lawrence then went to Herman’s Hangout and spoke with Flemming.

“Tammy stated that she was doing her final training for the night with Cooper at approximately 10:30 p.m.,” the complaint said. “She had Cooper on a choker chain. She stated the way she trains is by a method called, ‘release of pressure,’ which means the dog will decide how much pressure is applied to achieve compliance.”

The complaint stated it is common for a dog to yelp or react when using a choker chain.

“That is when they know to relieve the pressure,” the complaint stated. “Cooper had been with Tammy for four weeks and had been doing very well on the choker chain. During this time, Tammy was asking Cooper to sit, but he was in a ‘power struggle’ with Tammy and had begun ‘fighting’ her by thrashing his head back and forth. This caused Tammy to continue with pressure on the chain.”

Flemming told Lawrence this was a command Cooper had successfully followed many times before.

“She attempted to give a loud verbal command to gain compliance and stop the thrashing,” according to the complaint. “This did not work and Cooper kept ‘fighting.’”

Flemming noticed Cooper’s back legs became weak and she released the chain, according to the complaint. Tammy noticed Cooper beginning to take slow, shallow breaths. She then gave him mouth-to-mouth and chest compressions, but he died. Flemming told Lawrence that she did not recognize that Cooper was in trouble.

“I asked Tammy what she believed happened to Cooper,” Lawrence said in the complaint. Flemming said she believed he had an adrenalin rush and was possibly overexerted, but she did not recognize it soon enough.”

Veterinarian Philip N. Bochsler at the Wisconsin Veterinary Diagnostic Lab in Madison did a necropsy on Cooper that found the dog died from strangulation.

If Flemming is convicted on the animal abuse charge, she could face a fine of up to $10,000 and up to three years, six months in jail.

Recommended for you