JANESVILLE—A loaf of bread, a jug of wine and all the sights of downtown Janesville.
It doesn’t scan as well as the original—a loaf of bread, a jug of wine and thou—but it’s more accurate.
On Saturday, Downtown Janesville Inc. will sponsor its Rock River Spring Wine Walk. It’s the fourth such event for the organization, said Beth Hanthorn, chairwoman of the wine walk committee.
Each time, the event has come close to selling out—only 300 tickets are available—so organizers think they’ve found a method that works, Hanthorn said.
“The money we raise is used for downtown beautification efforts,” she said.
That means the wine you drink Saturday will magically transform into hanging baskets, special plantings in summer, and lights and decorations during the holidays.
A loaf of bread—the basics
The walk begins at either Walker Property Management, 120 N. Parker Drive, or at Voigt Music, 34 S. Main St. There, walkers will have their IDs checked and get their wristbands, wine glasses and maps.
From there, walkers will visit wine walk spots on foot or by trolley. The trolley will make six stops.
“The trolley is new this year,” Hanthorn said. “It’s for people who wanted to come but weren’t sure they wanted to do all that walking.”
A jug of wine—the details
First, it won’t be a jug of wine. It’s more like 2 ounces at each stop.
A distributor picked out a variety of wines, and committee members made the final decisions on what to offer, Hanthorn said.
“We’ll have about half reds and half whites,” she said. “And we’ll have a nice mix of sweets and dries so everybody’s taste buds will be good.”
Two of the wines come from Timber Hill Winery in Milton. Timber Hill’s offerings feature cold-climate grape varieties, making them different from what is traditionally found in the store, according to the winery’s website.
Each stop will have a little something to eat with the wine, such as an appetizer or snack, Hanthorn said. In addition, retailers will offer other coupons or specials throughout the day.
And all the sights of downtown Janesville
Those who haven’t been in downtown Janesville in a while can take in the improvements on the west side of the Rock River. In addition, the wine stops include shopping opportunities not found at big-box stores.
Businesses taking part in the wine walk include:
- Simple Scissors Salon & Spa, beauty items, 201 E. Milwaukee St.
- Floral Expressions, floral and decor, 320 E. Milwaukee St.
- Bodacious Olive, olive oil, 119 N. Main St.
- Mod Bloom, flowers, 6 S. Main St.
- Carousel Consignments, antiques and resale, 31 S. Main St.
- Angie’s on Main, antiques, eclectic gifts and handmade items, 37 S. Main St.
- Voigt Music Center, instrument sales, music books and lessons, 34 S. Main St.
- Raven’s Wish Art Gallery, local artists and framing, 101 W. Milwaukee St.
- Glass Gardens, stained glass supplies and classes, 25 W. Milwaukee St.
- Velvet and Tulle Boutique, women’s clothing, 217 W. Milwaukee St.
- Hometown Pharmacy, health care and gifts, 21 S. Jackson St.
- Forward Janesville, 14 S. Jackson St.
- Scott Schroeder Law Office, 51 S. Jackson St.