ANESVILLE—This weekend, downtown Janesville will be filled with the best of the holidays: music, light, treats, Santa and cookies.
The event? The Jolly Jingle, a weekend-long celebration of the traditions of Christmas.
The Downtown Development Alliance, the Janesville Area Convention and Visitors Bureau and a variety of other community groups all worked together on the project.
It’s the third year for the event, and Rene Bue, who is coordinating events for Hedberg Public Library, said the Jolly Jingle is finally gaining some momentum.
The goal is to provide a variety of activities for all ages and to make as many of them free as possible, Bue said.
Sara Helgeson, city of Janesville recreation programmer, said Jolly Jingle is becoming more organized. In the past, organizations had planned events on their own.
“This year there was more collaboration,” she said.
The majority of the events take place downtown, giving people the chance to see the improvements taking place in that area.
Bue expects the popular lighted parade that takes place Saturday night will have at least as many—if not more—floats than last year.
If organizers are lucky—the forecast doesn’t look promising—they’ll be offering snow tubing in Lower Courthouse Park.
The Jolly Jingle runs Friday to Sunday, with the majority of the events taking place Saturday.
Addresses for the main venues are:
- Janesville Performing Arts Center, 408 S. Main St.
- Voigt Music Center, 34 S. Main St.
- Janesville Ice Arena, 821 Beloit Ave.
- Lower Courthouse Park, 51 S. Main St.
- Janesville Senior Center, 69 S. Water St.
- 4-9 p.m.: Janesville Art League holiday art show and reception, Janesville Performing Arts Center. View a variety of artwork, vote for your favorites, meet artists and sample appetizers. Free.
- 4:45-5:45 p.m.: Rock County Community Handbell Choir concert, Voigt Music Center. Hot drinks and treats will be available for purchase. Concert is free.
- 6 p.m.: Tree lighting, Lower Courthouse Park. The event will feature Janesville City Manager Mark Freitag and holiday music. Free.
- 7 p.m.: Janesville Jets game and late-night skate, Janesville Ice Arena. Late-night skate runs from 9:45-11:15 p.m. The Janesville Jets game costs $9 for adults and $7 for youth. Cost for the skate is $4 or $2 with a Jets ticket.
- 7:30 p.m.: Performance of “A Christmas Carol,” Janesville Performing Arts Center. Cost is $16 for adults, $10 for students. For tickets and more information, visit JanesvillePAC.org or call 608-758-0297.
- 9 a.m.-2 p.m.: Christkindl holiday market, St. John Church, 302 N. Parker Drive. Event includes a winter farmers market with winter produce, prepared food and art from local vendors.
- 9 a.m.-3 p.m.: Holiday vendor market, Olde Towne Mall, lower atrium, 20 S. Main St., Janesville. Shop with more than 20 direct sales vendors and crafters. Baked goods and coffee from Hailey’s Sweet Treats.
- 10-11:30 a.m.: Spice on Ice skate show, Janesville Ice Arena. This year’s theme is “The Nutcracker.” The event is presented by the Janesville Figure Skating Club and is a U.S. Figure Skating-sanctioned event. Admission is a nonperishable food donation.
- 10 a.m.: Stories with Santa, Hedberg Public Library. Santa will read “The Night Before Chistmas.” Photo opportunities and crafts will follow. Free.
- 11 a.m.-4 p.m.: Snow tubing, Lower Courthouse Park. Snow tubes provided. Event is weather dependent. Free.
- 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.: Skate with Santa, Janesville Ice Arena. Admission is a nonperishable food item and $2 for skate rental.
- 1-3 p.m.: Holiday family films, Hedberg Public Library. The 1 p.m. feature is “Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town.” The 2 p.m. feature is “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.” Free.
- 1:30-2:30 p.m.: Jingle Jangle Sing-along, Janesville Performing Arts Center gallery. Enjoy hot drinks and treats while the JPAC Kids Youth Choir performs a holiday sing-along. The event will include a short performance from the youth orchestra and hand bell choir. Cost is a $3 suggested donation to the youth program fund.
- 2:30-4 p.m.: Craig High School Jazz Band event, Voigt Music Center. Performances from Craig High School’s three jazz bands.
- 3:30-5:30 p.m. Kids holiday crafts, games, cookie decorating, Janesville Senior Center. Free.
- 3:30-5:30 p.m.: Live reindeer, Lower Courthouse Park. Event is free, but a fee will be charged for photos.
- 3:45 to 4:30 p.m.: Puppet show and holiday storytelling with Johnny Wittnebel and Jake Hendrich, The Castle Performers.
- 4:30-5:45 p.m.: Holiday caroling and music, Voigt Music Center. Holiday caroling and music led by Mercy Hill Church. Food and beverages will be available for purchase.
- 4:45-5:30 p.m.: Holiday sing-along and games, Janesville Senior Center. Events includes live music by The Castle Performers.
- 6 p.m.: Holiday Lighted Parade, downtown Janesville.
- 6:45 p.m.: Fireworks, Hedberg Public Library Park.
- 7-10 p.m: Christmas with the Tallmans, Carriage House, Rock County Historical Society, 440 N. Jackson St. Don your lederhosen or ugly sweater and step inside the “Yule Haus.” Enjoy seasonal beverages and snacks. Explore the traditions of the holiday season, play reindeer games and meet Krampus. Cost is $10 online and $15 at the door. Adult-only event. Alcohol will be served.
- 7 p.m.: Janesville Jets games and late-night skate, Janesville Ice Arena. The Jets game is at 7 p.m. and the skate starts 9:45 p.m. The Jets game is $9 for adults and $7 for youth. The skate is $4 or $2 for Jets tickets.
- 7:30 p.m.: Performance of “A Christmas Carol,” Janesville Performing Arts Center. Cost is $16 for adults and $10 students. For more information, visit JanesvillePAC.org or call 608-758-0297.
- 11 a.m.-4 p.m.: Snow tubing, Lower Courthouse Park. Tubes provided, but event is weather dependent. Free.
- 2 p.m.: Performance of “A Christmas Carol,” Janesville Performing Arts Center. Cost is $16 for adults and $10 for students. For more information, visit JanesvillePAC.org or call 608-758-0297.
- 2-4 p.m.: “Memorable Gifts for Those You Missed,” Hedberg Public Library. Quick and easy gift ideas from items you can get at the gas station to do-it-yourself gifts you can make at home. Free.
- 4 p.m.: Lights of Love 2017, SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital, 3400 E. Racine St. Community members remember loved ones. The Healing Garden will be adorned with lights. The event features Christmas music and a narrated Christmas story and refreshments. Free.