You are the owner of this page.
A1 A1
Local
top story
Janesville City Council allows anti-bullying ordinance to move forward

JANESVILLE

The Janesville City Council agreed Monday to let an ordinance intended to discourage bullying advance to its next step, although the current draft seems likely to change.

That decision overrode a recommendation from Assistant City Attorney Tim Wellnitz. In a memorandum, Wellnitz wrote that the ordinance would be redundant because of existing city policies and state statutes.

The ordinance now will receive a public hearing Sept. 24.

Co-sponsors Jim Farrell and Jens Jorgensen were both dismayed by Wellnitz’s recommendation. Farrell said it was inappropriate to reject the policy at such an early stage before it could even be discussed further.

“It’s snuffing out transparency,” he said. “It’s snuffing out public participation and opinions.”

Nearly a dozen anti-bullying advocates spoke in favor of the policy. Some speakers were family members of 12-year-old Ellizabeth Jacobson, whose suicide earlier this year prompted calls for an anti-bullying ordinance.

But council member Sue Conley said the ordinance wasn’t good enough. The policy needed more public input from the Janesville Police Department and school district, she said.

She also worried that punishing parents with a fine, which is included in the current version of the ordinance, could have unintended consequences for low-income families.

Council members Tom Wolfe and Paul Williams said the policy likely could be strengthened or altered, but both voted to advance it.

The ordinance moved on via a 6-1 vote. Conley was the lone member to oppose it.

That vote came more than three hours after the council opened its meeting by declaring this week as “suicide prevention week” in Janesville.

Also Monday, the city council approved a modified tax increment financing policy that could give incentives to multifamily housing developments outside downtown.

The new policy is an attempt to fix Janesville’s housing shortage and will apply to development-ready sites throughout the city.

Council member Rich Gruber broadened the policy definition by asking the council to revoke a requirement that such properties be within city limits for at least 20 years, and the council agreed.

Gruber also tacked on a five-year sunset clause, and the council also agreed to that. The policy revisions will end in 2023 unless the council decides to extend them.

Gruber said the sunset clause ensures the council is being thoughtful and making sure incentives are helping fix the problem.

City officials, real estate developers and homeless advocates have spoken often this summer about the need for more multifamily housing. Tax increment financing is one way to improve Janesville’s tight inventory of available housing, they have said.

Economic Development Director Gale Price reiterated some of those talking points Monday. Rental rates haven’t kept pace with the cost of construction, so giving a developer a financial break on a project can help ensure it gets done.

The revised TIF policy passed 6-0. Council President Doug Marklein abstained from discussion and voting because his family runs a home-building business.


Angela Major 

Construction is ongoing on River Street near the ARISE Now water feature and pavilion Monday, September 10, 2018, in downtown Janesville.


Angela Major 

Workers smooth out wet concrete on a part of the new terrace Monday, September 10, 2018, on River Street in downtown Janesville.


News
top story
Local beekeeper wants to start 'nonprofit' restaurant

JANESVILLE

Local beekeeper Julie Servantez has been watching honeybees closely for a few years.

Bees’ work and social habits, as Servantez sees them, show the nectar-gathering, pollinating insects to be selfless in serving the good of the hive.

A few years ago, Servantez had a thought: Could the inner workings of a beehive serve as a model for people to become productive parts of the local, human colony if they had a chance to join?

Servantez, a Janesville native and retired Milton elementary school secretary, has spent the last two years developing plans to start up a nonprofit, coffee-and-bakery restaurant that would be named “The Hive.”

The name is more than a clever riff on bees.

“Bees’ sense of community is that everyone works for the common good. There’s no ego, and it involves servant leadership. I got to thinking, ‘What if there could be a place where this is how people are? Wouldn’t it be great if there could be something where people could function that way?’” Servantez said.

The Hive would serve as a workplace for local people who might otherwise face barriers finding gainful employment, such as those who are homeless, have disabilities, or are recovering from abusive relationships or drug and alcohol addiction.

Servantez said her goal is for The Hive to find a home in downtown Janesville. It could run as an artisan-style bakery with some breakfast foods. Plans show walls with built-in, see-through “observation” beehives that would let diners observe a true hive mind.

The concept couples a charitable cause with what Servantez sees as a mainstay for Janesville residents: dining out.

The Hive would use part of its revenue to pay employees earned income, putting them in the driver’s seat of their own lives.

“What do we do for the so-called ‘disposable’ local people who just need a first or second chance? We have mechanisms in place to get them some sort of help, but once the help is done … what can these people do to carry on with their lives and have meaning and purpose, to make a living wage and build a skill set?” Servantez said.

Servantez envisions The Hive as a place where people might gain workplace and interpersonal skills and build a work history. She’s been in conversations about The Hive with leaders of GIFTS Men’s Shelter, the YWCA’s Empowerment Center and KANDU Industries, a nonprofit agency that employs people with disabilities. She said The Hive would form partnerships with them and other local nonprofits.

Under plans Servantez has developed, The Hive would be overseen by a board of directors, and its profits would be returned quarterly to local nonprofit social service agencies that serve at-risk people such as those who would staff and operate The Hive.

It’s unusual for a restaurant to run under a nonprofit business model. In fact, Servantez said, The Hive would be the first nonprofit restaurant of its kind in Rock County, if not Wisconsin.

Servantez said she’s ready to begin the legal process of incorporating The Hive as a nonprofit.

The Hive would need a storefront, and that would be a main cost for starting up, Servantez said. She said that would require a campaign for private donations.

Servantez said over the last two years, she has researched other nonprofit restaurants nationwide and met with the some of the owners.

One such nonprofit restaurant, Bitty & Beau’s Coffee in Wilmington, North Carolina, employs people with disabilities. It was founded by parents whose two children have Down syndrome, a genetic disorder that often causes cognitive disabilities.

Allison Hokinson, spokeswoman for the Community Foundation of Southern Wisconsin, a Janesville nonprofit agency, said she volunteered to guide Servantez in her plans for The Hive.

Hokinson, whose adult daughter has a disability, said many local people with disabilities are underemployed; some only work a handful of hours a week.

Hokinson likes the idea of a nonprofit organized around a restaurant because it makes the nonprofit’s mission both “public” and “transparent.” She said people who would dine at The Hive would come in contact with the nonprofit’s mission every time one of its employees served them coffee or an onion jam egg and cheese sandwich.

That’s the whole point.

“Humans come together when disaster strikes. Hurricanes, wildfires, flooding and tornadoes create a human ‘swarm.’ Everyone wants to help and to be part of the solution. When everything gets cleaned up and back to ‘normal,’ the swarm dissipates,” Servantez said.

“By keeping some of the problems our community faces always in the spotlight via The Hive, the community has an ongoing opportunity to make a difference.”


Jim Young 

Milwaukee Brewers' Mike Moustakas celebrates scoring a run against the Chicago Cubs during the second inning of a baseball game Monday, Sept. 10, 2018, in Chicago. (AP Photo/Jim Young)


Increase in number of people dying from 9/11-related illnesses could result in victims’ fund running out of money

NEW YORK

The flood of people coming down with illnesses stemming from the toxic dust kicked up by the 9/11 terror attacks has been so great that the $7.3 billion dedicated to sufferers could run out before everyone has been helped, the Daily News has learned.

The 9/11 Victims Compensation Fund, which is responsible for providing financial assistance to those suffering from illnesses caused by Ground Zero contaminants, is already showing signs of strain.

“We do periodic assessments of our data,” VCF Special Master Rupa Bhattacharyya told the Daily News. The assessments, she said, create projections that will determine if the fund will be able to help everyone before it expires on Dec. 18, 2020.

“Looking at the data more recently, I’m starting to get a little concerned,” she said.

Bhattacharyya wouldn’t say if the fund is running out of money. She said the VCF plans to publish its updated projections in the next few weeks “and maybe seek some public comment on changes that will have to be made regarding our policies and procedures.”

Survivor advocates are concerned that, as the money peters out, those who file for compensation from now until the end will get less money than those who filed earlier with the same problems.

“I’m pretty confident that they will run out of money,” said 9/11 survivor advocate John Feal. “But I don’t think people should be concerned right now. I bet my one kidney that we will get the VCF extended.”

Sources with knowledge of the VCF’s money woes said that a bill to extend the fund could be brought to Congress as early as next month.

Through Aug. 31, the VCF has reviewed 38,502 compensation claims from 9/11 illness sufferers this year—a nearly 28 percent jump over the 30,081 claims it took in last year over the same period. Of the 38,502, about 20,000 claims already have been approved with payouts that can range up to $200,000, depending on the illness.

The VCF has also seen a 94 percent jump in “deceased claims”—requests for compensation by estates or family members of a 9/11 survivor who has already succumbed to illness. As of the end of August, 720 families have sought some form of financial compensation this year. In 2017, about 371 families did so in the same time frame.

And these numbers could continue to rise in the next few years, Bhattacharyya said.

“There are diseases with long latency periods,” she said. “Mesothelioma is one that is talked about often, and you won’t even see it for 15 or 20 years. We won’t see those claims for a while.”

According to the website Asbestos.com, an estimated 400 tons of asbestos—the microscopic fibers that cause mesothelioma—was used in the construction of the World Trade Center. All of it was released into the air when the buildings were pulverized into dust.

A source with knowledge of the assessment procedure said the VCF still has more than $3 billion in funding left to distribute, so any concerns Bhattacharyya might have are not imminent.

“We’re required by statute to periodically reassess our policies and procedures to make sure we are prioritizing the claimants with the most debilitating conditions,” the source said. “Her concerns are part of the periodic reassessment process that was built into the statute. It’s part of what the statute requires VCF to do.”

Scores people inhaled the dust as they sifted through the powder-caked debris looking for survivors and remains in what is considered one of the worst environmental disasters in the United States.

“It was unprecedented in the U.S.,” said Dr. John Howard, administrator for the World Trade Center Health Program. “The acute number of fatalities on that day has not been surpassed, and the chronic health effects have people succumb to illnesses … It seems incomparable that any other disaster is close.

“We don’t want to see another one like this,” he said.

As of June, 88,484 first responders and survivors have registered with the World Trade Center Health Program.

Of that number, roughly 10,000 have some form of cancer that has been certified by the program.

“(That’s) 10,000 people that were either first responders or were in the trade union, or victims, survivors or volunteers,” former “Daily Show” host and 9/11-survivor advocate John Stewart told the Daily News. “I mean, this is an outrageous number.”

Howard said the health program has seen a “growth spurt” within the last year—including a 260 percent increase in those who either worked or lived at or around the site, who the program categorizes as “survivors.”

So many survivors have been coming through the door that the program has opened a new clinic on Franklin Street in Lower Manhattan that will see an estimated 750 patients a month.

According to the best estimates, 90,000 first responders showed up at the World Trade Center in the aftermath of the attack. An additional 400,000 survivors lived and worked in the area at the time.

Of that number, about 55,000 first responders and fewer than 20,000 survivors have registered with the World Trade Center Health Program—meaning thousands more could be signing up in the next few years.

“The numbers are real,” said Feal. “This is not getting better. It’s getting worse.”

Feal estimates that someone dies of a 9/11-related illness an average of every 2.7 days. Neither the VCF nor the World Trade Center Health Program keeps records on how many people have died of a 9/11-related illness, but Feal says the number is close to 2,100. By the 20th anniversary of 9/11, more people will have died of an illness stemming from Ground Zero than the 2,700 who died at the Twin Towers that day.

“More people will have cancer,” he said. “More people will have died, and that pains me.”

On Saturday, the FealGood Foundation will add 163 new names to its wall of 9/11 heroes in Nesconsent, New York. They’re people who died of 9/11 illnesses—both survivors and first responders—since last September, when 141 names were added to the wall.

“It’s the most we’ve ever put on our wall,” said Feal, who in just the last two weeks has collected three more names for next year’s ceremony. “The 9/11 fraternity is shrinking.”

Feal showed up at Ground Zero a day after the terror attacks. He, too, inhaled the smoke and dust swirling around but hasn’t gotten sick yet.

But tomorrow is another day.

“We’re all looking over our shoulder, asking ourselves, ‘When am I next?’ That’s the most prevalent conversation between survivors.”

And it didn’t have to be that way. Advocates say the federal government could have demanded first responders and volunteers wear masks so they didn’t have to breathe the toxic stew of death in—but they didn’t.

Instead, Christine Todd Whitman—administrator for the federal Environmental Protection Agency at the time—announced a few days after the attacks that the air was safe to breathe.

“Her moral compass was pointed in the wrong direction,” Feal said. “Ten thousand people are sick because of her words. If she didn’t say it, people wouldn’t have gotten sick. We weren’t given the respiratory and hazmat gear. Human life took a backseat to the almighty dollar.”

A call to Whitman for comment was not returned.

Stewart, who fought to get the Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act passed—giving coverage to those afflicted with Ground Zero-related health woes for the next 75 years—tends to get indignant when someone mentions how the government said the air was safe to breathe.

“No scientist in their right mind, no environmental-protection person in their right mind (would have thought that),” Stewart said. “I’m not a professional. I just live near there—I knew how dangerous the air was.

“You couldn’t not know,” he said about the white dust that seemed to be everywhere in the weeks after the attack. “We had it all on our windows and cars. You could smell it for weeks and months. Every material that was at that site was pulverized and then burned, and anybody that was near there was inhaling it as fine atmospheric molecules.”

The New York Environmental Law and Justice Project was one of the first groups to perform independent environmental tests on the streets around Ground Zero.

Attorney Joel Kupferman and his team were called in after a police union reached out, claiming that some of their members were “spitting up blood,” he remembered.

“We grabbed some samples and came up with high levels of asbestos and fiberglass,” he said. “People were being exposed to dangerous carcinogens.”

He brought his findings to the city, state and federal government, but they cast his concerns aside.

“They said we were alarming everyone,” Kupferman said. “They didn’t say we were wrong, we were just alarming everyone.”

In the end, the streets were opened and everyone was allowed back into Lower Manhattan to show that the city was standing up to terrorism, Kupferman recalled.

“The people who said we had to get back to work and stand up to evil made sure that thousands of people are unable to stand today,” Kupferman said. “By not pushing them back, they completed the evil that didn’t happen to these poor people the first time.

“There could have been a lot more intervention,” he said. “The question now is: Where are all those people that said things are OK?”

“I never believed the air was safe to breathe,” said retired FDNY Chief Richard Alles, who responded to the terror attacks. “The responsibility in passing that message contaminated and sickened hundreds of thousands of people, innocent people. People that worked there, office workers, schoolteachers.

“We have students that were children at the time with breast cancer,” said Alles, who plans to join Feal in getting the VCF funding extended.

“(Congress) would love us not to go back,” he said. “They would love it to expire. If (Feal, Stewart and others) hadn’t been as tenacious as they are … they wouldn’t have passed it in the first place. They would have preferred not to deal with it.

“Lives are at stake, so there is no margin for error,” Alles said.


Obituaries and death notices for Sept. 11, 2018

Ruth Barnes

Melvin L. Colcord

Gary L. Davis

Karenlyn M. (DeWitt) Elliott

Walter Elmer

Carolyn Burch Gramley

Kathryn J. Haaland-Hague

Kelly L. Lutzow

Charlie McShan

Charles “Chuck” Reukauf

Edwin C. Smith Jr.

Lois M. Smith

Lindsey Rebecca Viramontes


Grace Beahm Alford 

Kevin Orth loads sandbags into cars on Milford Street as he helps residents prepare for Hurricane Florence, Monday, Sept. 10, 2018, in Charleston, S.C. (Grace Beahm Alford/The Post And Courier via AP)