Use the slider to compare the two photos
Before Milton became one municipality, it was two: the city of Milton and the village of Milton Junction.
A 1937 aerial photo shows Milton Junction. The photo looks southeast over what used to be called Main Street and is now called Merchant Row.
The original photo caption read, "Large railroad warehouses and numerous retail stores mark the downtown area of Milton Junction. The residential section is seen in the background to the east, in the territory between the village and its sister city of Milton. Dense tree growth adds much to the beauty of the village.”
A square is missing from this photo because some long-ago page designer thought it would be a good place to put the caption.
In those early days, most of the news from Milton Junction came in the form of social notes: “Mrs. W.R. Trope had visitors at her lovely home…”
But it wasn’t all tea and visiting. In 1897, The Janesville Gazette reported that a Milton Junction man was accused of allowing people to “play for gain” in his “temperance billiard room.” It’s difficult to imagine a world in which “temperance” and “billiard room” went together.
However, the case had to be thrown out because the court stenographer inadvertently wrote “game” instead of “gain” in the criminal complaint.
The two municipalities merged in 1966.
View more Then & Now blog entries at www.gazettextra.com/then_now.