What's your biggest office pet peeve?
Let’s face it. Every office has at least one person who others get aggravated with: someone whose quirks drive co-workers bonkers. In fact, they are showcased in TV shows and Blockbuster movies like “The Office” or “Office Space.” And I have to tell you, those episodes are pretty good. In fact, I have a poster in my office of Dwight Schrute holding a sign claiming he is indeed the hardest worker in the office. I chuckle every time I see it.
Earlier this week LinkedIn, the world’s largest professional network with more than 120 million members worldwide, released data about the top office pet peeves. And I have to admit, these behaviors are things we complain about over happy hour, but are almost never brought up while actually working.
According to LinkedIn, the top three office pet peeves are: co-workers not taking ownership of their actions, constant complainers and dirty common areas. I can’t say that I disagree.
The survey revealed interesting differences across countries and cultures. For example:
• Americans get more irritated than other nations by co-workers taking others’ food from the office refrigerator.
• Brazilians are the most annoyed of any national group by excessive gossiping.
• Germans are annoyed by dirty common areas more than the rest of the world.
• Indians react more negatively to irritating mobile phone ringtones.
• Japanese are more irritated by office pranks than others.
So, what’s your office pet peeves? Don’t be shy. If you share … I’ll share!
Last updated: 10:44 am Wednesday, August 28, 2013