Fire causes $130,000 damage at cemetery

Print Print
Jim Leute
Thursday, July 25, 2013

JANESVILLE—A lawn mower is suspected of sparking a fire Wednesday that caused an estimated $130,000 damage to a storage shed and its contents at Milton Lawns Cemetery, 2200 Milton Ave., Janesville.

Janesville firefighters were called at 3:49 p.m. and arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the metal storage shed, according to a news release from the department. Crews used a circular saw to cut an overhead garage door and reach the fire.

After extinguishing most of the fire, firefighters encountered arcing electrical wires. Alliant Energy was called to shut off power.

Four riding lawn mowers, a dump truck and numerous tools were lost in the blaze, according to the release. Damages are estimated at $50,000 to the building and $80,000 to its contents.

Fire officials said a riding lawn mower returned to the building about five minutes before the fire was discovered appeared to be the cause.

Last updated: 8:24 am Monday, July 29, 2013

Print Print