UPDATED: Cut gas line forces Janesville Mall evacuation
JANESVILLE—It’s back to business as usual at the Janesville Mall after a gas leak outside of Sears forced an evacuation this morning, Janesville Fire Department Shift Cmdr. Scott Morovits said.
A contractor working in the north parking lot of the mall, 2500 Milton Ave., hit the 2-inch gas feed for Sears, resulting in a gas leak, Morovits said.
Authorities were dispatched at 9:07 a.m., and the building was evacuated to the south side.
Alliant Energy responded and shut off the gas supply, Morovits said. No gas was found inside the building, and Janesville fire crews cleared the scene after a half hour, he said.