UPDATE: Insect fogger sparks Edgerton attic fire
EDGERTON—A rural Edgerton home was damaged in a fire after chemical insect foggers sparked a blaze in the attic, authorities said.
Edgerton Fire Chief Brian Demrow said firefighters were called at 12:23 p.m. today to a house with its attic on fire at 375 Liguori Road in rural Edgerton.
Demrow said firefighters learned that a resident had been trying to get rid of insects, and they’d set off a couple of cans of brand-name chemical insect fogger in the attic.
“On the can, it says it gets really hot,” Demrow said.
So hot that the foggers apparently caught wood and insulation on fire, igniting a blaze that burned part of the attic. Firefighters put about 1,500 gallons of water on the blaze to extinguish it, bringing down part of a ceiling in the process, Demrow said.
No one was hurt, but several area fire departments were called in to relieve Edgerton firefighters because of the extreme hot weather today, Demrow said. He said the residents are temporarily displaced and staying with family.
It’s the first time Demrow’s heard of insect foggers sparking a house fire.
“This was a strange one,” he said.