Print Print
Jamie Swenson
Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Okay, I know, I know … I hate using “u” for “you” too … but we’re appealing to the youth here. O.K.? (I won’t even go into the word “hafta”) …

I started this blog for a very specific reason … and that was not to worry about the use of "u" or "hafta." I will leave that worry to the college professors. And speaking of college – if you know of anyone heading that direction this fall he or she may very well benefit from filling out a FAFSA form.

I can see that you’re brimming with questions. I will attempt to answer them for you:

Who should fill out the FAFSA? Every student who is planning to attend college in fall 2012 (graduating high school seniors as well as adult students).

What’s FAFSA you aska? FAFSA stands for: Free Application for Federal Student Aid.

Where do you fill out your FAFSA? Excellent question. The Hedberg Public Library will once again host College Goal Wisconsin. During this event, there will be extra computers available for you to use to fill out the FAFSA form.

When is this happening? Saturday, February 18, 2012 starting at 2 p.m.

Why fill out a FAFSA? (and why NOW… college is months away). Superb question. The FAFSA “opens the door to potential cash for college.” That sounds good. But why fill it out now? Because the money is allocated based on when the form is filled out. So, the sooner your form is on file – the better.

How long does it take? Financial aid professionals will walk you through the FAFSA application process step-by-step. From start to finish it usually takes about an hour.

What do I need to bring?

According to the flier on my desk you and your parents MUST bring:

–Driver’s license (if you have one)

–Social security numbers

–If you are not a U.S. citizen bring your alien registration card

You and your parents need to have proof of income, so also bring:

–current balances in saving, checking and certificate of deposit accounts

–completed 2011 federal income tax returns OR completed 2010 federal income tax returns

–2011 W-2 forms

–2011 investment records

–2011 untaxed income records (child support, veterans non-educational benefits ...)

Wow. This sounds like a lot of work – so take advantage of the program at Hedberg because experts will be on hand to help you fill out the form and answer questions.

Oh, and by simply attending this event and filling out the form, students will be entered to win up to a $1,000 scholarship.

Questions? Call the library at 758-6585. You can also visit www.collegegoalwi.org for additional information.

Last updated: 10:33 am Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Print Print