From online story comments and Facebook
On Sunday editorial, “Milton should focus on security upgrades”: It’s a good idea but the Milton School Board won’t listen. They only have one agenda.
- All schools need to refocus!
—Janet Hackett Hollingshead
- Communities, our state and our nation need to refocus on what contributes to young men becoming mass killers. This latest shooter in Florida used the school’s own safety measures—a fire alarm—against the school. Turning schools into military bunkers is not the answer. In 1983, 241 U.S. Marines were killed in a military bunker.
On Milton School District proposal to buy Hawk Zone: What are the projected annual costs if this building were purchased? Electricity? Heating? Water? What major investments will be needed in the short term (roof, flooring, equipment)? What about long-term investment (structure, pavement)? Where does this fit in your annual budget? These are all things we as taxpayers must ask ourselves when we purchase personal items. How is the school board any different?
On Thursday story, “City, association disagree on Monterey Dam permitting process”: If Jeff Navarro wins a council seat, Council President Doug Marklein won’t be able to threaten to throw him out of meetings any more. He’ll just have to get used to hearing arguments he opposes while trying to give the impression that he hasn’t closed his mind. The council could use another member that doesn’t toe the majority’s line.
- Great! Get that death trap out of the water. Just wonder why they didn’t start sooner.
- Bye, bye dam. It’s about time.
On Gov. Scott Walker’s Tuesday Beloit visit: I would hate to see what my property taxes would be if it wasn’t for him.
- Republicans, you’re outta here.
- Maybe we should stop crucifying politicians so that someone decent will run.