JANESVILLE

Officials have determined an unintentional stove mishap was the cause of a fire in a fourth-floor apartment in downtown Janesville on Wednesday afternoon.

A heating pan of oil ignited and caught the stove and cupboards of a fourth-floor apartment on fire, according to a news release from the Janesville Fire Department.

Several people were treated for smoke inhalation, but no serious injuries were reported in the fire at the Garden Court Apartments, 208 N. Main St.

An open apartment door allowed smoke to fill the atrium, according to the release.

Damage is estimated at $10,000 for the structure and an additional $10,000 for content loss, according to the release. Damage was contained to the affected apartment.

Dozens of residents were evacuated for a short time Wednesday afternoon.

The American Red Cross assisted the sole displaced tenant with housing arrangements, according to the release.

Firefighters from Janesville and Milton responded to the fire at 1:26 p.m.

This story was updated at 8:24 p.m.

GazetteXtra.com does not condone or review every comment. Read more in our Commenter Policy Agreement

  • Keep it clean. Comments that are obscene, vulgar or sexually oriented will be removed. Creative spelling of such terms or implied use of such language is banned, also.
  • Don't threaten to hurt or kill anyone.
  • Be nice. No racism, sexism or any other sort of -ism that degrades another person.
  • Harassing comments. If you are the subject of a harassing comment or personal attack by another user, do not respond in-kind. Use the "Report comment abuse" link below to report offensive comments.
  • Share what you know. Give us your eyewitness accounts, background, observations and history.
  • Do not libel anyone. Libel is writing something false about someone that damages that person's reputation.
  • Ask questions. What more do you want to know about the story?
  • Stay focused. Keep on the story's topic.
  • Help us get it right. If you spot a factual error or misspelling, email newsroom@gazettextra.com or call 1-800-362-6712.
  • Remember, this is our site. We set the rules, and we reserve the right to remove any comments that we deem inappropriate.

Report comment abuse