Officials have determined an unintentional stove mishap was the cause of a fire in a fourth-floor apartment in downtown Janesville on Wednesday afternoon.
A heating pan of oil ignited and caught the stove and cupboards of a fourth-floor apartment on fire, according to a news release from the Janesville Fire Department.
Several people were treated for smoke inhalation, but no serious injuries were reported in the fire at the Garden Court Apartments, 208 N. Main St.
An open apartment door allowed smoke to fill the atrium, according to the release.
Damage is estimated at $10,000 for the structure and an additional $10,000 for content loss, according to the release. Damage was contained to the affected apartment.
Dozens of residents were evacuated for a short time Wednesday afternoon.
The American Red Cross assisted the sole displaced tenant with housing arrangements, according to the release.
Firefighters from Janesville and Milton responded to the fire at 1:26 p.m.
This story was updated at 8:24 p.m.