A loan from a state trust fund will help finance road projects in Orfordville.

On Tuesday, the state Board of Commissioners of Public Lands approved a State Trust Fund loan totaling $275,000 for the village.

The money will significantly improve the quality of the streets, said Karl Stuvengen, Orfordville public works director.

“We have several streets—almost all of them—that need crack filling and chip sealing,” Stuvengen said. “It gives you five to seven years or more of added life.”

The loan will cover almost all streets that need to be repaired, he said.

The village will hire a contractor to do the work because its public works department doesn’t have the equipment, Stuvengen said.

He expects that the project will start sometime this spring and will take a couple of weeks.

The money comes from a trust fund that was established in 1848 as part of the state constitution, according to a news release from the Board of Commissioners of Public Lands.

Initially intending to support public libraries, the board later started loaning money to municipalities and school districts for “public purpose projects” such as economic development, local infrastructure, capital equipment, and building repairs and improvements, according to the board’s website.

Over the past 10 years, the board has invested more than $1 billion in projects throughout the state, according to the website.

Along with the Orfordville loan, the board also awarded $1 million to the village of Sommers in Kenosha County for tax incentives and other costs related to its tax incremental financing district.

GazetteXtra.com does not condone or review every comment. Read more in our Commenter Policy Agreement

  • Keep it clean. Comments that are obscene, vulgar or sexually oriented will be removed. Creative spelling of such terms or implied use of such language is banned, also.
  • Don't threaten to hurt or kill anyone.
  • Be nice. No racism, sexism or any other sort of -ism that degrades another person.
  • Harassing comments. If you are the subject of a harassing comment or personal attack by another user, do not respond in-kind. Use the "Report comment abuse" link below to report offensive comments.
  • Share what you know. Give us your eyewitness accounts, background, observations and history.
  • Do not libel anyone. Libel is writing something false about someone that damages that person's reputation.
  • Ask questions. What more do you want to know about the story?
  • Stay focused. Keep on the story's topic.
  • Help us get it right. If you spot a factual error or misspelling, email newsroom@gazettextra.com or call 1-800-362-6712.
  • Remember, this is our site. We set the rules, and we reserve the right to remove any comments that we deem inappropriate.

Report comment abuse