Janesville73°

Mulligan's fire still under investigation

Print Print
staff, Gazette
July 5, 2013

— Police and fire officials continue to investigate a Wednesday morning fire that sent thick smoke billowing from Mulligan's Pub & Dining, 1318 Racine St., Delavan.

Delavan Assistant Fire Chief Tim O'Neill said the owner of the bar reported a fire in the basement at 5:30 a.m.

When firefighters arrived, they blew in high-expansion foam, but the floor already was compromised in two places, O'Neill said.

Firefighters were then ordered out as the fire spread to the roof.

The flames caused major damage to the basement and moderate to severe damage to everything else, he said.

Nobody was hurt in the three-alarm fire, O'Neill said.

The fire covered the north side of Delavan with thick smoke.

"It's choking me," said Nancy Heeringa, who was working three blocks away as Walworth County district manager for The Gazette. "It's very, very smoky."

"You can hardly see the flashing lights of the emergency vehicles up there," she said.

The Walworth County Fire Investigation Task Force responded, and the state Fire Marshal's Office was on its way, he said.

Emergency crews from Delavan, town of Delavan, Walworth, Elkhorn, Fontana, Williams Bay, Darien, Elkhorn and Walworth initially were called to the scene.

Additional help was requested at 6:20 a.m. from Sharon, Lake Geneva and the town of Linn. More help was requested at 7 a.m. from Clinton, Lauderdale, La Grange, Burlington, East Troy and Lyons, according to scanner chatter.

Mulligan's Pub & Dining just opened about three months ago, O'Neill said.

It is Mulligan's second fire in three years.

Previously, Mulligan's operated as a bar and grill in the town of Delavan.

Ten firefighters were injured March 5, 2010, at Mulligan's Sports Bar & Grill at 188 Highway 50. The firefighters were hurt when a bucket truck came in contact with power lines obscured by smoke.

A bartender told investigators that the 2010 fire started from grease in a kitchen fryer. The building was a total loss.



Print Print