Man gets 10 years in fatal crash

Print Print
Thursday, July 12, 2012

— Marla Jones tried to protect her mother from the terrible truth.

Her mother, Margaret Worden, was on her deathbed and kept recalling the car crash. She called out for her beloved grandson and Jones' son, Jeffery Bauer. Was he OK? Was the hospital staff taking good care of him?

All Jones could say was, "Yes."

"I wasn't lying to her," Jones said Wednesday in Rock County Court. "He was safe downstairs in the morgue. How much more could they take care of him? He was gone."

Tearfully, Jones described to Rock County Judge James Daley on Wednesday the pain of losing her son to an intoxicated driver and then watching her mother die from injuries suffered in the crash.

"Nobody should see their parent suffer because of the careless actions of others," Jones said.

Daley sentenced Omar Tavizon Ramos to 10 years in prison for the April 2011 deaths of Worden, 61, and her grandson, Jeffery Bauer, 19. Both lived in Janesville.

Tavizon, 22, of 2147 Mount Zion Ave., Janesville, in April pleaded guilty to two counts of homicide by intoxicated use of a vehicle. Daley also imposed 10 years of extended supervision, but that won't likely happen, Daley said. Tavizon is not an American citizen and is likely to be deported when his sentence is complete. He is not eligible for early release, Daley said.

Daley imposed the extended supervision so he has the option of sending Tavizon back to prison if he returns to the U.S. after deportation, Daley said.

Worden and Bauer were delivering newspapers early on the morning of April 24, 2011. Tavizon was speeding north on Highway 51, according to court records. He struck the victims' vehicle at 2:49 a.m. as it was turning east onto Racine Street, according to court documents.

Bauer died at the scene. Worden died several days later at Mercy Hospital and Trauma Center, Janesville.

Tavizon's blood-alcohol content was 0.18 percent. He also tested positive for marijuana consumption, according to court documents. He was driving faster than 81 mph, according to Department of Transportation scene reconstruction.

Tavizon and a passenger were hospitalized with injuries. Tavizon in early May fled University Hospital, Madison. He left behind his wheelchair and a walking boot and rode a bus to Janesville. Police found him in an apartment on North Parker Drive two days later.

Jones said in court Wednesday that her son was six weeks short of achieving his life goal of graduating from high school when he died. He loved his grandmother and his dog, China, who also was killed in the crash.

"Jeffery was pure joy to be around," Jones said.

Tavizon, who is a father of two, apologized to Bauer's and Worden's family. He would never hurt someone on purpose, he said. He said he knows how badly he hurt the victims' family and his own.

"Every day I wake up knowing that I hurt them," he said. "Please forgive me."

Tavizon's family was in court Wednesday and had been present at all of his hearings, Daley said. None of them spoke.

But Daley said the two families were assured of Tavizon's remorse.

"Your apology today was a first step," Daley said.

Last updated: 4:58 pm Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Print Print