Dryer blamed for smoky Janesville fire

Print Print
Gazette staff
Monday, February 13, 2012
— A clothes dryer malfunction resulted in an early-morning fire that destroyed a home.

The Janesville Fire Department responded to Jacobs Mobile Home Park, 3315 South Highway 51, Lot 45, at 2:03 a.m., according to a news release from the fire department.

When firefighters arrived, no flames were visible, but heavy smoke was coming from a door and from underneath the mobile home.

Firefighters extinguished the fire under the home and inside near the clothes dryer.

The homeís occupants, Michael Abbott and Christine Green, had left the home early in the evening.

Abbott told firefighters he was using the dryer earlier in the evening when it began making a popping noise and then filled the house with smoke. A small fire also started. Abbott put it out with fire extinguisher. He then shut off the power to the dryer and used the extinguisher on the flooring near the dryer.

Abbott and Green went to a friendís home to spend the night because their home smelled of smoke. About 2 a.m., Abbott went outside to smoke and noticed smoke coming from his home.

Investigation showed that the wiring leading to the dryer either shorted out or overheated, causing the fire.

The home, which is assessed at $8,000, is a complete loss. Damage to contents is estimated at $2,500. The Red Cross is working with the family.

Last updated: 7:44 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print