Walks to feed families cropping up in area

Print Print
Thursday, April 5, 2012
— If you're one of many who took advantage of warm March days to get back outside and start your walking regimen, you can continue getting fit by walking or running for a cause this April to end hunger locally and worldwide.

Spring 2012 CROP Hunger Walks are scheduled for Sunday, April 22, and Sunday, April 29, in four Rock County communities.

Last year, the Janesville CROP Walk raised $32,783 thanks to the help of 21 local churches, organizations and others who participated. Of the money collected, 75 percent benefited Church World Service to provide assistance nationally and internationally. The other 25 percent benefited ECHO, a local faith-sponsored charity, said Barb Cisler, coordinator.

Cisler and her husband Terry travel around the world.

"We see a lot of countries that do not have the same kinds of resources, food and facilities we do, and Church World Service is a way to help these people in India, Vietnam, China, the Dominican Republic and Africa," she said.

It also is a way to give resources to a trusted organization, Cisler said.

"Sometimes if you just send your money off to some place, you don't always know where it is going. But Church World Service is an organization I feel really good about after having worked with it the past 11 years. I've been very happy with the way they have used our money," she said.

"Not only are they providing food, but they are also into trying to help countries set up safe water," Cisler said.

A goal of raising $40,000 with 450 participants has been set by organizers of the Janesville CROP Hunger Walk, she said. It has collected $866,487 during the last 34 years.

"We need $33,513 to reach $900,000 in the Janesville walk," Cisler said.

Below are details of each walk:

-- Orfordville—Sunday, April 22, with a 1 p.m. registration and 1:30 p.m. walk that starts at Albrecht Elementary School, 1400 21st St., Brodhead.

Contacts: The Rev. Mary Froiland, msfroiland@aol .com, (608) 879-2934 or the Rev. Tiffany Bates, pastor

bates@brodheaducc.com, (608) 897-2917.

-- Brodhead—Sunday, April 22, with a 1 p.m. registration and 1:30 p.m. walk that starts at Albrecht Elementary School, 1400 21st St., Brodhead. This is a 5K walk.

Contacts: the Rev. Tiffany Bates, pastorbates@brodheaducc.com, (608) 897-2917 or the Rev. Pedar Johanson, (608) 897-2341.

-- Janesville—Sunday, April 29, with a 1 p.m. registration and 1:30 p.m. walk that starts at Cargill United Methodist Church, 2000 Wesley Ave., Janesville. Participants can walk or run 2K, 5K or 10K.

Anyone can pledge online by visiting churchworldservice.org.

Contacts: The Rev. Steve Ekblad, steven.ekblad@gmail.com, (608) 754-0067, or Barb Cisler, barbcisler@hotmail.com, (608) 754-2093.

Walk materials also may be picked up from Sue McCrone, client advocate, ECHO, 65 S. High St, Janesville, or by calling her at (608) 754-5333. Walk participants also are invited to donate nonperishable food items for ECHO the day of the walk.

In addition, these events have been scheduled to support the Janesville CROP Hunger Walk: Mac's Pizza Shack, 2307 Milton Ave., 4 to 8 p.m. Monday, April 16; Culver's, 2421 W. Court St., 4 to 8 p.m., Monday, April 23.

-- Milton—Sunday, April 29, with a 12:15 p.m. registration and 1 p.m. walk that starts at the Community Action Center, 36 Hilltop Drive, Milton. This is a 5-mile walk.

Contacts: Carol Hulburt, carolannh@charter.net, (608) 868-6105 or Jan Marquis, (608) 868-4287.

Last updated: 8:12 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print