Firefighters rescue dogs from Beloit basement fire

Print Print
Gazette staff
Saturday, November 5, 2011
— Firefighters rescued two dogs from a basement fire in a Beloit home Friday afternoon, according to a news release from the town of Beloit Fire Department.

According to the news release, the fire department was called to an automatic residential fire alarm at a home at 1956 Cottage Ave., Beloit, at 4:15 p.m. Friday.

Emergency responders found the doors at the home locked. They gained entry and found the basement was engulfed in thick smoke.

Firefighters quickly extinguished a fire in the basement, which apparently started when a couch ignited, according to the department. The cause of the fire was not immediately known, but the fire department reported it was not suspicious.

No one was home at the time, according to the release. The fire caused damage totaling about $20,000.

The owners of the home planned to stay with friends, said Fire Captain Rich Tippelt.

Firefighters rescued two dogs from the home. Both dogs appeared to be fine, although one was checked for smoke inhalation, Tippelt said.

One town of Beloit firefighter was treated for smoke inhalation at Beloit Memorial Hospital and released, Tippelt said.

Fire departments from Edgerton, Beloit, South Beloit and the town of Turtle assisted.

Last updated: 6:58 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print