Chiefs win in overtime

Print Print
Associated Press
Tuesday, November 1, 2011
— Ryan Succop kicked the Kansas City Chiefs into the record book.

Philip Rivers will be quite the footnote.

Succop knocked through a 30-yard field goal in overtime Monday night, giving the Chiefs a 23-20 win over the San Diego Chargers and moving them into an improbable tie atop the AFC West.

Kansas City (4-3) became the first team in NFL history to lose its first three games and share at least part of a division lead after four more games. The Chiefs are also the first team since the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2000 to win four straight games after losing their first three.

Rivers could have prevented all of it from happening.

The Chargers (4-3) had trailed the whole way before the three-time Pro Bowl quarterback marched them downfield in the closing minutes of regulation. With first-and-10 at the 15 and just 48 seconds on the clock, Rivers fumbled the snap and the Chiefs’ Andy Studebaker clawed under the pile and retrieved the ball.

Kansas City moved down the field for its own chance to win in regulation, but Matt Cassel overthrew his intended receiver and Eric Weddle’s second interception sent the game to overtime.

The Chargers won the toss but failed to pick up a first down, and Cassel calmly led Kansas City right down field. Succop’s field goal with 5:16 left gave the Chiefs their fourth straight win and moved them into a tie with San Diego and the idle Oakland Raiders (4-3) in the division.

Kansas City got off to an abysmal start this season, losing its first two games by a combined 89-10.

The Chiefs had things going early, getting a 36-yard field goal from Succop in the first quarter and then capitalizing on Rivers’ second interception in the first few minutes.

With the ball at the Chargers 39, Cassel dropped back and saw Jonathan Baldwin streaking for the end zone, and the wide receiver out-jumped fellow rookie Marcus Gilchrist for his first career touchdown catch and a 10-0 lead.

Rivers, who threw for 369 yards, was also intercepted by Kendrick Lewis early in the game, one week after throwing two fourth-quarter picks in a disheartening loss to the New York Jets.

Succop kicked his second field goal just before halftime for a 13-3 lead.

Nick Novak kicked three field goals in the third quarter, drawing the Chargers within 13-12.

Last updated: 7:00 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print