Bucks go back-to-back

Print Print
Associated Press
Thursday, March 10, 2011
— Two guards teamed up to give Milwaukee its second win in two days.

Brandon Jennings and Earl Boykins each scored 18 points to lead the Bucks to a 110-90 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers on Wednesday night.

“At this point, we’re running out of time,” Boykins said. “It’s time to win, no matter who the opponent is. If you can get a win, it’s a good win. So, we’re able to get the back-to-back wins. It’s huge for us at this point of the season.”

Boykins had all of his points in the first half, then Jennings scored 14 in the third quarter as Milwaukee enjoyed its second blowout in two days, thanks to 55.1 percent shooting.

The Bucks, who won 95-76 on Tuesday at Washington, have won back-to-back games for the first time since Jan. 28-29. Boykins and Jennings combined to shoot 15 of 19 from the field.

“They were in the paint,” Milwaukee coach Scott Skiles said. “One of our points of emphasis in the game was to break them down off the dribble, get down in the paint and then make good decisions and save for four or five minutes, we did.”

Samardo Samuels scored 11 of his 15 points in the first quarter for Cleveland, which lost for the fifth time in six games. The Cavaliers, 4-28 on the road, also 13 points and seven assists from Daniel Gibson.

Baron Davis, Cleveland’s leading scorer since being traded to the Cavaliers, missed the game due to the death of his grandmother.

After shooting 60.5 percent in the first half for a 62-49 lead at the break, Milwaukee extended its lead by opening the third quarter with a 14-4 run.

Jennings contributed 10 points during the stretch, and his second 3-pointer of the run gave his team a 76-53 lead with 6:22 left.

“These are teams we should beat, so you can’t really get too hyped about it or anything like that,” Jennings said.

Milwaukee took control by shooting 70 percent (14 of 20) and scoring 39 points in the second quarter. Boykins made all six of his shots in the period, and he started and capped a 17-2 run by the Bucks.

His jump shot gave Milwaukee a 38-35 lead with 6:54 remaining and his layup extended the advantage to 53-37 with 3:26 to play.

“I just took the shots that were there,” Boykins said. “The thing was, once I made a couple, I really just focused on taking good shots.”

A 3-pointer by John Salmons gave Milwaukee a 58-41 lead, its biggest of the half, with 2:11 left.

“We stopped playing,” Scott said. “We stopped playing on the defensive end, stopped playing offensively together as a team and they got up and started pressuring us a little more. And we just seemed to lose our minds and just play individual basketball.”

Last updated: 4:47 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print