Official: Hot drill bit leads to fire, causes $100,000 in damage

Print Print
Gazette staff
Thursday, June 16, 2011
— A basement fire in a Janesville home caused $100,000 in damages Wednesday afternoon.

The fire at 110 Rutledge Court started in the basement after a hot drill bit was set on top of a cigarette lighter, Janesville Fire Department Shift Commander Bill Ruchti said. The bit melted the outside of the lighter and ignited the fluid inside.

The fire department responded to the call at about 1:20 p.m. Wednesday.

The fire caused $60,000 in structural damage and $40,000 to property in the single-family home, Ruchti said.

The fire caused extensive damage in the basement, Ruchti said. Smoke and heat exposure damaged the rest of the home.

Ruchti said one person was exposed to smoke from the fire but refused medical transport.

Last updated: 5:38 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print