Janesville55.1°

Home in CO poisoning incident had no detectors

Print Print
Gazette Staff
January 20, 2011
— Carbon monoxide detectors were not in the Janesville home where five residents were found to have elevated levels of the colorless, odorless and tasteless gas.

The Janesville Fire Department went to 2118 S. Oakhill Ave. at 6:24 a.m. Wednesday for a report of possible elevated levels of carbon monoxide in the home, according to the fire department.


A resident in the home evacuated everyone after noticing some type of problem in the home, according to the fire department.


Six residentsótwo adults, two minors and two infantsówere found outside the home when emergency responders arrived, according to the fire department. They were taken to Mercy Hospital and Trauma Center.


Five of the residents had elevated levels of carbon monoxide, according to the fire department.


A faulty furnace released the carbon monoxide, according to the fire department.


Three ambulances, two fire engines, Janesville police and Alliant Energy responded to the home.


A new state law that takes effect Feb. 1 requires homes to install carbon monoxide detectors. For new construction, occupancy permits won't be issued if the detectors are not in place.



Print Print