Fire causes $100,000 damage to Janesville home, garage

Print Print
Gazette Staff
Tuesday, February 1, 2011
— A fire on Monday damaged a garage and residence at 1202 Prairie Ave.

Janesville firefighters got the call at 4:02 p.m. On arrival, they found the garage of a duplex fully involved.

No one was injured. Damage was estimated at $75,000 to the building—mostly the garage—and $25,000 to the contents, which included the car and a motorcycle in the garage where the fire started. Damage also was done to a car in the neighboring garage.

The American Red Cross was assisting residents with living arrangements, said fire department Lt. David Sheen.

The residence had heavy smoke and water damage, but the up-to-code firewall saved it from more extensive damage, Sheen said. The adjoining residence, 1204 Prairie Ave., had minor smoke damage.

According to Sheen, a man was working on the car in the garage where the fire started. He left to get parts and returned to find firefighters on scene, Sheen said.

A precise cause was not immediately determined, Sheen said.

Last updated: 4:36 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print