Janesville69.7°

Sources: Bucks to make offer to Dunleavy

Print Print
Gazette wire services
December 9, 2011
— League sources indicated Thursday the Milwaukee Bucks will sign guard-forward Mike Dunleavy Jr. when contracts can officially be offered to free agents Friday.

The deal is expected to be for two years and in the $7.5 million range, meaning the Bucks are using some of their mid-level exception on the veteran, who is an unrestricted free agent.


Dunleavy averaged 11.2 points, 4.5 rebounds and 1.7 assists in 61 games with the Indiana Pacers last season


The 6-foot-9 Dunleavy played the last 4 1/2 seasons witth the Pacers after beginning his NBA career with the Golden State Warriors.


The former Duke star has averaged 12.1 points and 4.7 rebounds during his nine-year pro career and has appeared in 627 regular-season games.


Dunleavy, 31, is the son of former Bucks player and coach Mike Dunleavy Sr.


The Bucks are trying to bolster an offense which ranked last in the league last season in points per game and field goal percentage.


NBA blocks trade of Paul

The NBA, owners of the New Orleans Hornets, refused Thursday to approve a three-team trade that would have sent Hornets All-Star guard Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers.


Its not true that the owners killed the deal, the deal was never discussed at the Board of Governors meeting and the league office declined to make the trade for basketball reasons, league spokesman Mike Bass said.


Yahoo Sports reported that NBA Commissioner David Stern killed the trade after several owners complained. Citing anonymous sources, Yahoo reported Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban was one of the most vocal owners upset about the deal, done the same day as the end of the lockout, which was supposed to restore competitive balance in the league.


Owners and players ratified a new collective bargaining agreement Thursday, the final step to ending the five-month lockout and paving the way for training camps and free agency to open Friday.


There was hope in small markets like New Orleans that after the lockout it would be easier for teams to hold on to their biggest stars. Had the deal had been approved, one of the NBAs biggest stars from the league-owned small-market Hornets would have moved to one of the NBAs largest, richest markets.


The Hornets have been owned by the NBA since last December, when the league bought the club from founder George Shinn.


A person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press that the framework for a deal had been in place earlier Thursday, but that Paul would report to Hornets training camp Friday. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the talks were supposed to remain confidential.


The proposed deal would have sent Lamar Odom from the Lakers to New Orleans and Pau Gasol from the Lakers to Houston. The Rockets also had agreed to send forward Louis Scola, shooting guard Kevin Martin, point guard Goran Dragic and a first-round draft choice to New Orleans.


If the Hornets are unable to figure out a trade for Paul, he would be able to opt out of his current contract after the upcoming season.



Print Print