Gladiators open playoffs Saturday at Milton
The Rock County Gladiators fell down the seeding chart with a final regular-season loss at Twin City Dawgs last week.
The Gladiators, however, are still opening the Great Midwest Football League playoffs at home Saturday against the Gateway Hawks, out of Missouri.
The first-round game starts at 6 p.m. at Milton High School.
The Gladiators could have finished in a first-place tie with the Dawgs with a win last Saturday at Bloomington, Ill., but lost, 28-14. Rock County scored 14 fourth-quarter points to get within 21-14, but the Dawgs returned an onside kick deep into Gladiator territory and scored a late insurance touchdown.
That snapped a seven-game Gladiator winning streak and left Rock County with a 7-3 regular-season record.
Gateway finished 6-4 in the Missouri Show-Me Division. The Hawks scored 223 points and allowed 176.
The Gladiators scored an average of 30.2 points a game and allowed 20.6.
(No. 1 seed) Warren County Cyclones (9-1) vs. (8) East Side Justice (5-5)
(2) Twin City Dawgs (9-1) vs. (7) River City Eclipse (5-5)
(3) Midwest Chargers (7-3) vs. (6) Beloit Titans (5-4-1)
(4) Rock County Gladiators (7-3) vs. (5) Gateway Hawks (6-4), 6 p.m., Milton High School
(1) Metro Detroit Wolverines (10-0) vs. (8) SE Michigan Mercenaries (6-4)
(2) Lakeshore Cougars (10-0) vs. (7) Illinois Cowboys (6-4)
(3) Chi-City Blitz (9-1) vs. (6) West Michigan Tigers (7-3)
(4) Cardinals (9-1) vs. (5) Chicago Falcons (9-1)
Last updated: 6:04 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012