Defending champ Big Foot wins in a breeze

Print Print
Tim Wester
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
— Perhaps the most comfortable place to stand during Tuesday night's wicked wind was behind Big High School's offensive line.

The beefy group had more than enough bulk to cut through the strong wind, not to mention the Lake Mills defensive line.

The Chiefs' racked up 263 first-half rushing yards, while the defense held the L-Cats to just 65 total yards to help the defending Division 4 state champions blow past Lake Mills, 35-0, in a WIAA first-round football matchup.

With the impressive victory, Big Foot (8-2) advances to the second round on Saturday at Kiel against the host Raiders (6-5), who were 18-15 winners over Racine St. Catherine's in overtime.

The Chiefs, who are poised to make another deep run into the playoffs, have relied on their talented offensive line to turn a disappointing 0-2 start into eight straight wins.

"I challenged the big guys up front all year, especially after the first few weeks of the season to be the headliners of this year's team." Wedig said. "The last few weeks we've been rolling, and it's because of our line up front."

The offensive line didn't waste any time firing off the ball against the L-Cats.

On the third play of the game, Big Foot sophomore running back Mason Dixon burst through a sizeable hole and sprinted 80 yards untouched for a touchdown that put Big Foot ahead 7-0 early in the first quarter.

"Garret (Cary) made an amazing block, and I just followed it," said Dixon, who racked up 218 rushing yards on 17 carries.

"He was the one that made the play."

The big plays continued for Big Foot.

After a quick Lake Mills three-and-out on the ensuing possession, the Chiefs tacked on a 10-play, 65-yard scoring drive that was capped by Kenneth Walker's 11-yard touchdown run with 4:47 left in the first. That made it 14-0.

Jake Wedig, the Chiefs' junior quarterback, then took over from there with touchdown runs of 6 and 1 yards, respectively, to make it 28-0 with 4:45 left in the half. Wedig later added a 70-yard touchdown pass to Matt Ripkey through the middle of the L-Cats' secondary to build the advantage to 35-0 late in the second quarter.

The shell-shocked L-Cats never had an answer for the Chiefs' attack, and ended up with just two first downs in the game.

"I think going into the wind to start the game didn't help Lake Mills much," coach Wedig said. "I thought if we could establish the front line as well, then we could set the tone."

Mission accomplished for Wedig's talented team.


Lake Mills 0 0 0 0—0

Walworth Big Foot 14 21 0 0—35

Scoring summary: WBF—Mason Dixon, 80 run (Sean Kivlin kick). WBF—Kenneth Walker, 11 run (Kivlin kick). WBF—Jake Wedig, 6 run (Kivlin kick). WBF—Wedig, 1 run (Kivlin kick). WBF—Matt Ripkey, 70 pass from Wedig (Kivlin kick).

Statistics: First downs—LM 2, WBF 16. Rushing—LM 18-9, WBF 42-300. Yards passing—LM 65, WBF 70. Passes—LM 13-3-0, WBF 5-1-0. Fumbles—LM 0-0, WBF 1-0. Penalties—LM 3-20, WBF 4-20.

Last updated: 3:07 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print