Catherine W. Idzerda" />

Fire destroys detached garage, contents

Print Print
Catherine W. Idzerda
Monday, March 29, 2010
— A live electrical wire halted firefighting for more than 40 minutes Sunday.

At 3:22 p.m. Sunday, firefighters were called to 117 Royal Court, Janesville, for a detached garage fire, according to a news release from the Janesville Fire Department.

Firefighters began work on the fire, but concerns about an electrical line resting on the top of the garage halted work. Firefighters determined that the live line had been burned through. Because water conducts electricity, all work ceased, and everyone was moved 50 feet away from the shed.

Alliant Energy was called at 3:48 p.m. and arrived at 4:30 p.m.

After shutting off the power, firefighters went back to work on the garage and also applied water to the side of the house, which was about 12 feet away from the garage.

The home’s owner, Warren Burgett, told firefighters he had emptied ashes out of the garage’s wood burner that morning and left the bucket in the garage. He went into the house about noon to eat lunch and take a nap. A neighbor, Adam Trotter, spotted the fire and woke Burgett. Firefighters think the fire was caused by the wind blowing ashes out of the bucket. The garage and its contents, which included a 2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic, tools and other items, were destroyed. The vinyl siding on the side of the house closest to the fire also was damaged. Total losses are estimated at $64,000.

Last updated: 1:05 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print