Kitchen fire causes $65,000 damage

Print Print
Gazette Staff
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
— A kitchen fire caused $65,000 worth of heat a smoke damage Tuesday morning to a house at 944 Bedford Drive.

“We can tell by the burn pattern that the fire either started on the stove or next to the stove,’’ said Bill Ruchti, Janesville Fire Department shift commander.

The blaze was contained to the area around the stove and cupboards, he said.

The 13-year-old son of homeowners Tom and Tammy Bradley was sleeping in the basement when a neighbor noticed smoking billowing from the eaves and called 911 just before 9 a.m., Ruchti said.

“When he heard a noise, woke up and opened the (bedroom) door, he could hear alarms, smelled smoke and got out. The dog got out after we got there,” he said.

There were no injuries, Ruchti said.

All other family members were gone at the time of the fire.

Janesville police and Alliant Energy crews also responded to the scene.

Last updated: 2:19 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print