Fire destroys Edgerton home

Print Print
Gazette staff
Saturday, January 30, 2010
— A fire that destroyed a house and killed two cats Thursday was an accident that started with an attempt to keep cats warm on a cold night.

Investigators suspect the fire started with a heat lamp that was put into a wooden box on the house’s deck for the “outside cats,” the Edgerton Fire Department reported.

The Edgerton Fire Department was dispatched at 8:27 p.m. Thursday and found the two-story wood-frame structure at 938 E. Lakeside Drive in Fulton Township fully involved, according to a department news release.

No people were at home, but two house cats perished in the fire, according to the release.

The house, owned by Bruce Coursen, is a total loss. No dollar amount on the damage estimate was available Friday, according to the release.

Firefighters from Milton, Janesville, Evansville, Stoughton, Fort Atkinson and the towns of Turtle and Beloit assisted Edgerton and rotated shifts while battling the blaze because of the cold weather.

Firefighters remained on scene until after midnight, pouring 64,000 gallons of water on the blaze. Crews returned twice Friday to extinguish hot spots.


Co-workers of Jessica Coursen at St. Mary’s Hospital in Madison have set up a fund to help her in the wake of the fire that destroyed her home. Checks may be sent to: St. Mary’s & Affiliates Credit Union, care of Michele L. Lehmann, 700 S. Park St., Madison, WI 53715.

Last updated: 12:18 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print