Last shot beats Marquette

Print Print
Associated Press
Thursday, January 21, 2010
— DePaul’s Mike Stovall had just one thought as he let go of his last-second jumper.

“We need to walk out of here with a ‘W,”‘ Stovall told himself. And that’s what the Blue Demons finally did Wednesday night, thanks to him.

Stovall’s jumper with seven-tenths of a second left gave DePaul a 51-50 comeback win over Marquette and ended the Blue Demons 24-game losing streak in Big East regular-season games dating back to March 2008.

“I just shot the ball,” Stovall said. “And got lucky.”

DePaul (8-10, 1-5) got its first win in three games since former University of Wisconsin player Tracy Webster was named interim head coach replacing the fired Jerry Wainwright.

Marquette (11-7, 2-4) got 14 points—all in the first half—from Lazar Hayward in the crushing defeat.

The Golden Eagles have lost three games by a single point, two others by two and another by four.

“It seemed like I saw it in slow motion,” Marquette coach Buzz Williams said of Stovall’s shot.

“We’ve lost four games in league play, all by one possession. … It’s not like it’s Ground Hog day, just like it’s almost surreal.”

Stovall’s game-winner was his second big basket in the final 10 seconds. His 3-pointer with 9.7 seconds left after Hayward missed at the free throw line brought DePaul within 50-49.

After a time-out DePaul pressed and fouled David Cubillan with 8.4 seconds remaining. He missed from the line. The Blue Demons rebounded, hustled the ball up and after it was knocked loose, Stovall retrieved it and sank his jumper from the right side with seven-tenths of a second to play to send the Allstate Arena into a frenzy.

Officials then looked at video replay to determine if it was a 3-pointer and ruled it a 2-pointer that gave DePaul a one-point lead. Marquette made a long pass but it was knocked away as the buzzer sounded and Webster ran up the floor to hug injured star Mac Koshwal.

Koshwal, the team’s leading scorer, missed his 11th game this season—eight straight earlier with a left foot injury and then the last three with one on his right foot.

For one night, the Blue Demons got by without him and they savored the long-awaited victory.

“If feels good, not just for myself, but for this guy right here,” Webster said slapping Walker on the back. “He’s a senior and he’s been through a lot.”

Last updated: 12:36 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print