Warhawks grind out OT win over Titans

Print Print
Tim Wester
Thursday, January 14, 2010
— With six freshmen on its roster, UW-Oshkosh’s men basketball team is in a classic rebuilding mode.

But somehow the Titans always find a way to turn the game into a slow and ugly slugfest against UW-Whitewater.

Despite being forced to play at Oshkosh’s pace, the Warhawks had just enough to knock off the upset-minded Titans, 62-58 in overtime, here Wednesday night.

Warhawk senior center Dustin Mitchell racked up 25 points and 12 rebounds, while junior forward Alex Edmunds made four free throws in overtime to help fourth-ranked Whitewater (14-1, 6-0) maintain sole possession of first place in the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.

The Warhawks’ ugly victory against Oshkosh (6-8, 1-5) didn’t please Whitewater coach Pat Miller.

“Tonight was hopefully a lesson in what can happen if you don’t play well and you don’t come with intensity every night in this league,” Miller said. “Fortunately, we were able to learn this without taking a loss. But if this doesn’t get their attention, I don’t what will.”

Perhaps Whitewater wasn’t paying enough attention to D.J. Marsh late in the second half.

Marsh was nearly unstoppable down the stretch and gave Oshkosh its first lead of the game, 52-51, with a nifty turnaround jumper in the lane with 28 seconds left in regulation.

Marsh finished with a game-high 26 points.

Mitchell then sank one of two free throws on the ensuing Warhawk possession to even the game at 52-52. Mike Bendall rebounded Mitchell’s second shot, giving Whitewater a chance to win.

But Dupree Fletcher’s fade-away jumper at the buzzer fell short and forced the overtime.

“Coach always says, ‘Don’t let a team hang around,’ ” Mitchell said. “Especially them (the Titans) because they have a good player in Marsh who’s capable of scoring at will, and we gave them a chance to hang around, and this (the overtime) is what happened.”

Whitewater was held scoreless for the first three minutes of overtime before Fletcher stole the ball from Marsh at the three-point line and sprinted three-quarter court for a layup and foul. That gave Whitewater a lead that it never relinquished—55-54 with two minutes left.

The Warhawks then sank three more free throws to go up 58-54 with 42 seconds left.

Marsh quickly cut the lead to 58-56 with a short runner with 30 seconds left, but that was as close as the Titans got. Edmonds and Fletcher each made two more free throws to put the game out of reach.

“They executed their strategy better than we did ours,” Miller said of the Titans. “But I was proud of the way we hung in there.”

D.J. Dantzler’s three-pointer from the top of key gave Whitewater a 23-19 lead at half. The game remained close the rest of the way.


Oshkosh (58)—Royston 1-3 0-0 2, Marsh 12-24 2-3 26, Flanigan 4-5 0-1 8, Wittwer 3-14 2-2 9, Washington 0-2 1-2 1, Mageland 1-1 0-0 2, Kretsch 0-3 0-0 0, Miller 0-2 0-0 0, Wojahn 3-7 0-0 7, Waudby 0-0 2-2 2. Totals: 24-61 7-10 58.

Whitewater (62)—Negri 2-4 0-0 5, Mitchell 11-13 3-5 25, Fletcher 2-7 3-3 7, Edmunds 0-6 6-10 6, Bendall 3-4 0-0 6, Dantzler 2-4 0-0 5, Free, 2-3 0-0 6, Burns 1-5 0-0 2. Totals: 23-46 12-18 62.

UW-Oshkosh 19 33 6—58

UW-Whitewater 23 29 10—62

Three-point goals—Oshkosh 3-17 (Royston 0-1, Marsh 0-3, Wittwer 1-8, Mageland 1-1, Kretsch, 0-1, Wojahn 1-3). Whitewater 4-14 (Negri 1-3, Fletcher 0-2, Dantzler 1-3, Free 2-3, Burns 0-3). Rebounds—Oshkosh 36 (Marsh 12), Whitewater 29 (Mitchell 12). Assists—Oshkosh 6 (Marsh 3), Whitewater 17 (Negri 9). Total fouls—Oshkosh 19, Whitewater 15.

Last updated: 2:06 pm Thursday, December 20, 2012

Print Print