Memorial service set for Darien deaths

Print Print
Kevin Hoffman
Saturday, December 4, 2010
— A memorial service is scheduled today for the two victims of an apparent carbon monoxide poisoning last month at a home in Darien.

Vincent Ayers, 46, and his daughter Banessa R. Ayers, 18, were found dead Nov. 4 at their rental unit in downtown Darien. A gas generator was found in the home but was not running.

A memorial will be held today from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Emmanuel Baptist Church, 920 S. County H, Elkhorn. The church is about a half-mile south of Gateway Technical College.

Ayers and his daughter lived at the home since spring, a neighbor said. Vincent Ayers worked odd jobs and was hired at a landscaping firm just weeks before his death, according to a news release.

Alliant Energy cut power to the home due to unpaid bills eight days before the two were discovered. Police said the family pets—a cat, a dog and a ferret—also were found dead.

Officials still await the release of toxicology reports, confirming whether carbon monoxide caused the deaths.

Last updated: 3:54 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print