Arrests made after Janesville man is assaulted

Print Print
Friday, August 27, 2010
— A 21-year-old Janesville man suffered lacerations to his face and injuries to his lips, forehead, hands and knees during a Thursday night assault, according to Janesville police.

The incident happened at 10 p.m. in the parking lot of Rivers Edge Bowl, 215 S. River St. and was initially called in as a fight, said Sgt. Dean Sukus.

But after police watched video surveillance and investigated, it quickly became clear the assault started with an argument in the parking lot.

The victim, who was leaving the parking lot, was talking to some people, then there appeared to be some exchange of words between him and another man, not part of the group. Out of nowhere, this unknown man punched the victim in the face, knocking him to the ground. The attacker was then joined by another man in kicking and hitting the victim in the head, Sukus said.

“It was repeated punches and kicks to him while he was on the ground. This is not just an assault. This is complete disregard for this person’s safety and life,’’ he said.

During the assault, the victim’s cell phone was taken.

“We don’t know what happened with the exchange of words or what the reason for the argument was,” Sukus said.

And nothing indicates the victim knew his assailants, he said.

The suspects were caught after a Janesville police officer, who was in the area at the time of the incident, saw an SUV leaving the bowling alley’s parking lot. When he pulled the vehicle over, the suspects involved in the assault were inside, Sukus said.

Darius Lee, 20, of Richton Park, Ill., was arrested on charges of reckless injury and party to the crime of robbery and underage drinking.

Also arrested was Taiwan Franklin, 21, of 2016 Kellogg Ave., Janesville, on charges of reckless injury and robbery.

Lucas Scott, 27, of 619 Williams St., Janesville, was arrested on a charge of receiving stolen property.

“He had the phone on him, but the suspect (Franklin) charged with the actual robbery took the phone. The video shows he was not involved in the assault. In fact he even tried breaking it up,’’ Sukus said.

Both Lee and Franklin are in custody at the Rock County Jail. Scott was issued a notice to appear in court, according to Sukus.

Last updated: 2:37 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print