Witness stories on drug purchase differ

Print Print
Ted Sullivan
Saturday, August 14, 2010
— Two women testified in Rock County Court on Friday that they were with the Milton man who died of a heroin overdose when he bought drugs, but they offered different stories about what happened and could not say what dose killed him.

Carly Millis and Jennifer Brennan, both currently in the Rock County Jail, testified against David W. Givhan, 24, Beloit, who is charged with first-degree reckless homicide in the March 2009 overdose death of Luc A. Marsh, 29. Marsh was found dead in a bathroom at the Edgerton hospital where he worked.

Givhan was bound over for trial and stood mute to the charge after the women testified at the preliminary hearing. Court Commissioner Stephen Meyer entered a not guilty plea for Givhan.

Marsh’s phone records and text messages led investigators to people involved in the heroin deal, according to the criminal complaint. Witnesses to the heroin buy then cooperated with investigators.

Millis, wearing orange jailhouse coveralls, testified she received text messages about buying heroin from a friend. She then met Marsh and Brennan at Family Dollar in Beloit.

Millis testified she received $180 from Brennan, Marsh and a third woman. She said she drove to a Beloit home to meet Givhan and buy heroin. She said the vehicle with Brennan and Marsh followed her.

But Brennan, wearing a brown jailhouse jumpsuit, testified she didn’t remember if they bought the heroin at the Family Dollar parking lot or got it at a second location.

After the drug buy, Brennan testified she and Marsh went to Janesville and injected the heroin, but she was unsure whether Marsh used additional heroin from a different source later that day.

She said she thought the heroin that killed Marsh was the same heroin they bought in Beloit because Marsh did not have money for more drugs.

Both witnesses testified to using heroin that day.

Millis said her memory of the drug deal was cloudy. She said she didn’t remember what day it was, what time of day it was or what street she was on when she bought the heroin.

Givhan’s defense attorney, Jack Hoag, asked Millis if she was offered a plea agreement in her own drug case if she testified against Givhan.

Millis said no promises were made, but she knew cooperating would help.

People supporting Givhan and Marsh were in the courtroom.

Givhan was charged about 15 months after Marsh’s death. He remains jailed on $100,000 bond.

Last updated: 2:43 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print