Fugitive in Walworth County Jail after six years on the run

Print Print
Ted Sullivan
Thursday, August 12, 2010
— The fourth man accused in the nearly fatal gang-related beating of a Delavan man in September 2003 will face the justice system after six years on the lam.

Jayme A. Manriquez, 34, Delavan, appeared in Walworth County Court on Wednesday and was ordered held in jail on a $500,000 cash bond. He faces felony charges of party to first-degree attempted homicide, party to first-degree reckless injury and bail jumping.

Manriquez has been a fugitive since August 2004 when he posted $5,000 cash bond and fled to Mexico. He was considered one of Walworth County's most wanted.

He was arrested in Mexico in August 2009 and was flown to Milwaukee on Tuesday after the extradition process ended.

"We are confident that justice will be served, and he will be able to face the appropriate penalties, if he is convicted," Walworth County Sheriff's Capt. Scott McClory said

He declined to comment on how Manriquez was found.

"It was a lot of good, old-fashioned cooperation and good follow-up on leads from multiple agencies," McClory said.

While on the run, Manriquez's three co-defendants all were convicted for their roles in the beating.

The four men used a crowbar, baseball bat and metal rod to bash the man, according to the criminal complaint, and the brawl appeared to be gang related.

The victim survived after being flown to Froedtert Memorial Lutheran Hospital in Wauwatosa with critical injuries, according to the criminal complaint.

Co-defendant Renato Aranda, 27, of Delavan was sentenced in August 2008 to one year in jail and seven years probation for felony party to battery while armed, misdemeanor possession of cocaine and misdemeanor third-offense drunken driving.

Co-defendant Jose F. Gomez, 27, of Delavan was sentenced in December 2006 to eight years in prison after pleading guilty to felony party to battery by use of a dangerous weapon.

Co-defendant Santos J. Moronez, 31, of Delavan served a year in the county jail with work release after pleading guilty in August 2004 to felony battery by use of a dangerous weapon. He was ordered to remain on probation for 10 years.

The Delavan Police Department, Walworth County Sheriff's Office and the U.S. Marshals Service worked with Mexican authorities to arrest Manriquez, who still has family in Delavan.

"We're pleased with the level of cooperation we received on both sides of the border," McClory said. "It was a lot of work."

The Gazette was not able to reach anyone able to comment at the Walworth County District Attorney's Office or U.S. Marshals Service on Wednesday.

Manriquez is scheduled to appear in court Wednesday, Aug. 18.

Last updated: 2:44 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print