Janesville61.2°

Closed lunch coming to Parker sooner

Print Print
FRANK J. SCHULTZ
September 19, 2009
— Parker High School ninth-graders will be forbidden to leave campus for lunch starting Nov. 9, not in January as previously announced.

The Janesville School Board is scheduled to hear an update on closed-lunch policies at both the high schools when the board meets Tuesday.


The Nov. 9 date is noted on the board’s agenda, which was made public Friday.


Parker and Craig high schools have allowed students to leave campus for lunch since 1971. Freshmen were included in that policy when they were moved from middle school to high school in the late 1980s.


In the run-up to the 2006 high school expansion referendum, officials said they would close lunch to underclassmen once the project—which included larger cafeterias—was completed.


The project was completed this summer, and Craig High School started keeping its freshmen on campus when school opened.


Craig’s plan is to extend the closure to sophomores in September 2010.


Parker Principal Steve Schroeder had planned to study the idea before deciding when to close lunch, saying he might not do it until September 2010.


But Superintendent Karen Schulte said Sept. 8 that Schroeder had been told to close lunch to freshmen starting with second semester.


Now, apparently, a decision has been made to start even earlier.


Schulte did not immediately return a phone call Friday.


On the Agenda

The Janesville School Board meets at 6 p.m. Tuesday at the Educational Services Center, 527 S. Franklin St. The agenda includes:


-- A closed meeting at 5:30 p.m. to discuss negotiations on a teachers contract.


-- Approval for publication of a 2009-10 budget.


-- Reports on computer-system improvements made over the summer and 2009 summer school.



Print Print