Beloit boy honored for bravery

Print Print
Stan Stricker
Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Beloit fourth grader has been honored for his bravery during a fire.

Beloit Fire Department Information Officer Jeremy Flanagan says young Ian Fields woke up to a house filled with smoke. Even though he was already choking, he remained calm. He quickly woke his family and helped them escape. Flanagan says typically someone doesn't awake because of smoke. Since the family did not have a working smoke detector, the outcome could have easily been tragic.

Even though the incident happened last May, Fields was honored this week with an award for bravery, as part of National Fire Prevention Week.

Last updated: 11:48 am Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print