20 tips to save money on energy
The cost of heating and cooling is expensive.
And you would like to save a little cash.
It's easy to become more energy efficient without spending tons of dough.
Alliant Energy provides several ways to save money on your bill:
1. Shade trees can reduce cooling costs. You can plant trees if you don't have any in your yard.
2. Turn off the lights when you're not home or not using them.
3. Use fans to circulate air instead of your air conditioner.
4. Get a room air conditioner.
5. Change your furnace filter regularly.
6. Set back your home's thermostat by 10 degrees for eight hours every day. It will reduce your energy consumption by 10 percent.
7. Don't try and heat your home quickly by setting the thermostat higher than you want. It doesn't work.
8. Open your shades during the day for solar heat. Close them to keep solar heat out.
9. Avoid using space heaters. They use a lot of electricity.
10. Avoid using your electric oven. Microwaves, toasters and other appliances use less energy.
11. Throw out your second refrigerator or freezer. They can add $100 to your energy bill every year.
12. Use cold water when washing clothes. And always wash a full load to avoid extra cycles.
13. Clean your dryer's lint screen. A dirty lint screen causes the dryer to use more energy.
14. Use fluorescent light bulbs. They use less energy and last longer.
15. Take showers instead of baths. They use less water.
16. Set your water heater to 120 degrees.
17. Seal doors and windows to reduce heating costs.
18. Install a showerhead that saves water.
19. Keep the garage door closed if it's attached to your house.
20. Install a programmable thermostat. You can set it to reduce your home's temperature at certain times of the day. Then you'll never forget.