Attempted homicide suspect to stand trial

Print Print
Ted Sullivan
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
— When Jaymie Pergande was found in his kitchen, he was in a puddle of blood described as being “2 gallons of milk dumped out on the floor.”

Pergande, 38, was covering his neck with a hand towel, trying to stop the bleeding from a 4-inch cut across half his neck, emergency responders said. His trachea and jugular vane were sliced open and exposed.

“He stated that, ‘If I die, I want you to know that my wife did this to me, that she killed me,’” paramedic Shawn Genung testified Monday during a preliminary hearing in Rock County Court.

Testimony from Genung and a Janesville police officer was enough evidence to order Nickole E. Pergande, 35, of 530 S. Randall Ave., Janesville, to stand trial on a charge of attempted first-degree intentional homicide, Court Commissioner Charles Holznecht decided.

Nickole stood mute when asked to enter a plea to the charge, and the court entered a not guilty plea for her.

According to the criminal complaint:

Jaymie and Nickole have been married for 3˝ years, but they recently filed for legal separation. Both were laid off from Lear Corp. this year.

On Sunday, Jan. 11, Jaymie’s neck was cut while he was in the shower.

The couple gave different stories as to how Jaymie was injured.

Jaymie claims his wife was stealing from him, was distraught over legal issues and sliced his throat in an attempt to murder him, according to the complaint.

Nickole is charged with felony forgery in connection with writing $3,500 in checks in her husband’s name, including $2,000 to a woman and $1,500 to herself, Janesville police detective Mark Johnson said.

Nickole claims her husband is lying, was stressed about the couple’s job loss and got cut for an unknown reason.

During the court hearing, Janesville police officer Todd Schumann testified Nickole was calm when he arrived at the Pergande’s home. Schumann said Nickole didn’t have any blood on her hands or clothes.

Nickole sat in a chair next to her attorney during the hearing and never spoke.

The mother of two remains free on $10,000 bond.

If convicted, Nickole faces a maximum of 60 years in prison on the attempted homicide charge.

Last updated: 9:34 am Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print