Fire kills bird, displaces two tenants

Print Print
Gazette Staff
Monday, February 16, 2009
— A $3,000 pet bird is dead and two tenants displaced from their apartments after a fire Sunday afternoon.

The upper tenant of the two-story apartment building at 139 Jefferson Ave. smelled smoke and heard noises before she discovered the fire and called it in at 12:31 p.m., said Bill Ruchti, Janesville Fire Department shift commander.

Although the cause of the fire is not suspicious, it will be investigated today, Ruchti said. The fire started in the first-floor bedroom and spread up to the second floor and into the attic, leaving $210,000 damages behind, Ruchti said.

The occupant of the lower-level apartment had left about a half hour before the fire was discovered, Ruchti said. In addition to losing some valuable art, the tenant also lost his pet bird in the fire, Ruchti said.

The local chapter of the American Red Cross was called to assist the upper tenant. The lower tenant didn't need help at the time, Ruchti said.

Last updated: 9:38 am Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print