Janesville60.9°

Unattended grill causes porch fire in Beloit

Print Print
Beth Wheelock
May 25, 2008

A Beloit family is unharmed after hot embers from their unattended grill ignited a wooden porch.


Fire investigator Jeremy Flanagan says firefighters found the rear porch at 1035 Ninth Street actively burning when they arrived Sunday morning. The porch was completely destroyed and the interior of the rental property has minor smoke damage. Flanagan estimates the structural damage at $15,000.


He also notes the family did not have working smoke detectors in the home and children were present in the home. He says the family does not have renter's insurance.



Print Print