Janesville64°

UN keeps pressure on Myanmar to allow in more aid

Print Print
Associated Press
May 20, 2008
— The U.N.’s top humanitarian official made fresh pleas to Myanmar’s military government Tuesday to allow in more foreign aid for cyclone survivors, as the country began three days of mourning for the 134,000 dead and missing.

Flags at government offices, schools and large hotels in Myanmar were lowered to half-staff. But shops were open as usual and many people in Yangon said they had little idea of what the government-announced mourning entailed.


Some residents frustrated with the junta’s response to the disaster called it a symbolic gesture that lacked sincerity.


“If they are sincere, they should welcome help from everyone,” said Zin Moe, 32, who sells clothes. “They are not letting in aid quickly enough and people are angry.”


The military-led regime said Monday it would allow its Asian neighbors to oversee distribution of foreign relief to cyclone survivors.


But most foreign aid workers still were banned from the storm-devastated area and the United Nations said only 20 percent of the survivors had received some form of international assistance.


U.N. Undersecretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs John Holmes is in Myanmar to persuade its government to allow more in international assistance and pave the way for a visit this week by U.N Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.


Holmes told reporters Tuesday that Ban will meet with Senior Gen. Than Shwe, the head of the country’s ruling junta. Myanmar officials were not immediately available to confirm the meeting plan.


U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said he’s hoping to press the country’s military leaders for speedy relief for cyclone victims.


Ban told reporters before heading to the airport on Tuesday that “this is a critical moment for Myanmar.”


He said there is a functioning relief program in place but so far it has only been able to reach 25 percent of the people in need. He said he is confident that aid can be scaled up quickly and he welcomed the government’s “recent flexibility” in allowing Asian relief workers under the auspices of the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations to begin distributing international aid supplies.


The secretary-general is scheduled to arrive in Myanmar on Thursday morning.


He is expected to inspect the areas devastated by the storm as well as talk with Myanmar officials. On Sunday, he is supposed to attend a meeting of aid donors in Yangon.


The cyclone’s official death toll stands at about 78,000, with another 56,000 people missing. Conditions in the low-lying Irrawaddy delta remain precarious, with survivors facing disease, malnutrition and exposure to the elements.


A Myanmar doctor returning from the delta said refugees in the bigger towns were receiving some aid and medical care but expressed concern for those in outlying villages.


Villagers were still trickling into the towns because they had received no aid, she said.


“We saw one young girl yesterday. Her lips and her nails were blue. She looked like she was going to die,” Tin Sein said on Tuesday. “People who haven’t eaten or drunk clean water and also completely exposed to the rains and storm.”


“I don’t think anyone has a good picture right now of the overall situation,” she said. “People give different facts and figures. It’s a major problem.”


State-owned media reported Tuesday that the head of the country’s ruling junta met storm victims in the hard-hit Irrawaddy delta Monday, saying the regime had “promptly carried out rescue and rehabilitation tasks.”


The general said the government has spent more than $45.5 million on relief operations, has met immediate needs such as food, shelter and health care and is moving into the reconstruction phase.


Foreign aid agencies and the United Nations were less upbeat. They said only some 500,000 of as many as 2.4 million storm victims have received some form of international assistance.


“It is clear that the emergency phase is set to continue for some time,” the United Nations said.


Myanmar promised Monday it would allow its Asian neighbors to oversee the distribution of foreign relief to cyclone survivors.


In Singapore, an emergency meeting of foreign ministers from the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations agreed to set up an ASEAN-led task force for redistributing foreign aid.


Myanmar agreed to open its doors to medical teams from all ASEAN countries, Singapore Foreign Minister George Yeo said. ASEAN member Thailand already has sent teams, as have non-ASEAN neighbors India and China.


Myanmar, one of the world’s poorest nations, claims losses from the disaster exceeded $10 billion. But it may have problems funding a recovery.


World Bank Managing Director Juan Jose Daboub said Tuesday the bank will not give any financial aid or loans because Myanmar has failed to repay its debts for a decade.


Daboub said the World Bank is providing technical support to assess damage in Myanmar and help plan economic reconstruction.


“But the bank cannot legally provide any (financial) resources to Myanmar because it is in arrears with the bank since 1998,” he said in Singapore.



Print Print