Deputies named in fatal shooting

Print Print
Ted Sullivan
Wednesday, July 9, 2008
— Two deputies who shot and killed an armed kidnapping suspect last week in Bloomfield Township are back on active duty today, and their names have been released to the public.

Deputy Jon Albrecht fired two shots, and Deputy Jamie Green fired one shot, killing Antonio J. Torres, 41, of Pleasant Prairie on Monday, June 30, Walworth County Sheriff David Graves said.

Albrecht and Green have been in the office on administrative duty since the shooting, he said, and they returned to active duty Tuesday morning.

The off-duty deputy who spotted Torres outside Pell Lake, leading to the high-speed chase and shooting, was Tanya Miller, Graves said.

The deputies did not commit crimes in the shooting, Walworth County District Attorney Phil Koss said, but he has not reviewed final investigative reports.

The district attorney has talked to state agents investigating the shooting. He also has gone to the scene.

“It sounds like they saved that little girl’s life,” Koss said.

The deputies met with a psychologist Monday night for a critical incident debriefing, Graves said, and Albrecht and Green were declared fit for duty.

Fatally shooting a person is stressful, he said, but the deputies are recovering.

“I think they’re handling it as well as anybody in their position can,” Graves said. “They’re looking forward to going back on the road.”

The names of the deputies were withheld from the public for eight days because the state Division of Criminal Investigation was investigating the shooting, Graves said. The investigation is finished, but DCI agents haven’t turned in their final reports.

Albrecht and Green fatally shot Torres after he beat his 1-year-old daughter’s mother in Kenosha and kidnapped the girl, sheriff’s officials said.

Torres later called Kenosha police and said he would shoot himself and his daughter, sheriff’s officials said. An Amber Alert was issued.

Torres was spotted hours later along Highway 50 on the east side of Walworth County.

He led several patrol cars on a high-speed chase with his daughter in the vehicle, and he flashed a shotgun during the pursuit, sheriff’s officials said. Torres later pulled over along County H near Pell Lake.

While sitting in the driver’s seat, Torres grabbed his daughter, placed her on the centerline of the road and pointed his shotgun at her, sheriff’s officials said.

Albrecht and Green shot and killed him.

Torres died of head trauma from a gunshot wound, the Walworth County coroner said.

The girl was uninjured and reunited with her mother, who was treated at a Kenosha hospital for injuries stemming from the beating.

Last updated: 9:50 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print