Threats preceded shooting incident

Print Print
Mike DuPre'
Friday, January 18, 2008
— Before Timothy Harrington barged into a Clinton home and wounded his mother-in-law with a shotgun blast, he made comments to the effect “it was all going to end tonight.”

After Harrington shot his mother-in-law, Marilyn Smith, on Dec. 18, two police officers—Curt Streuly, a sheriff’s deputy, and Kim Rau, a Clinton officer—shot and killed him.

The information is included in court documents filed in connection with a warrant to search Harrington’s truck the night of the shooting.

Because the shooting involved local officers, Rock County Sheriff Bob Spoden asked the Wisconsin Department of Criminal Investigation to investigate the incident.

Spoden also asked Dane County Sheriff Dan Mahoney to conduct the Rock County Sheriff’s Department internal investigation into the shooting. Such an investigation is routine in such shootings, Spoden said.

State criminal investigators will send their report to Rock County District Attorney David O’Leary. He said Thursday that he expects to receive the report next week.

Spoden expects to receive the report from his Dane County counterpart next week.

According to the affidavit filed to get the search warrant:

“Based on information received from Rock County dispatch, Timothy Harrington was involved in a disturbance at the Edwards Ice Arena in Beloit … and at approximately 6:28 p.m. Harrington left the ice arena and was believed to be heading to 207 Mill St. and had made comments that it was all going to end tonight.”

The tragic chain of events apparently began around 5 p.m.

Rau had been called to a threats complaint at 207 Mill St., Clinton, about 4:56 p.m.

Rau made contact with the occupant of the address—Harrington’s estranged wife, Michelle Harrington, and her mother, Smith.

Streuly arrived at 6:42 p.m.

“At approximately 6:51 p.m., Timothy Harrington … kicked in the back door of the residence and entered … with a shotgun and fired at least one round and struck Marilyn Smith in the back shoulder.

“Officer Rau and Deputy Streuly fired at and struck Timothy Harrington, fatally injuring him,” according to the affidavit.

Ten days after the incident, Smith, 58, was listed in serious condition at St. Anthony Hospital, Rockford, Ill.

On Thursday, hospital staff said they had no record of Smith as a current patient.

Before shooting Harrington, the officers were trying to get his children out of the house, Spoden said shortly after the incident.

Among items confiscated from Harrington’s truck were a 20-gauge shotgun, four 12-gauge shotgun cartridges, hockey equipment and an envelope marked “loan papers,” according to the court documents.

The Harringtons were getting divorced, and the couple had encountered financial trouble.

In August, Harrington, armed with a pistol and a shotgun, was involved in a two-hour standoff with police. He was charged with domestic abuse of a child, two counts of battery, fleeing an officer, failure to comply with officers' orders and dangerous use of a weapon.

Harrington appeared at a court hearing on those charges Dec. 18. Hours later, he was shot dead.

Last updated: 1:48 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print