Edgerton free throws finish off Parkview

Print Print
Craig Henquinet/Special to the Gazette
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
— Mark Wanless didn’t hide his game plan too well Monday night.

Edgerton High’s boys basketball coach was hopping out of his loafers, and his tie was flipped over his shoulder as he willed the ball inside time after time in the battle against Orfordville Parkview for first place in the Rock Valley Conference.

The point got across as his Crimson Tide used its brawn and height in the low post to offset Parkview’s full-court pressure and capture the 65-53 victory that left the Vikings with their first conference loss.

“They have been annihilating teams with their quickness and their pressure,” Wanless said of the Vikings, who fell to 6-1 in the Rock Valley and 9-2 overall after winning seven straight. “We’ve been competitive by getting it inside, and we hope to get some mismatches.”

The Crimson Tide (11-0, 6-0), No. 3 in today’s Division 2 state ratings, won the battle of wills and also befitted from the residual effect of getting the ball inside—free throws.

Edgerton took advantage of Parkview’s 30 fouls (22 in the second half) to make 28 of 44 free throws. That included 16 of 22 in the fourth quarter, and enabled the Tide to hold off the Vikings after posting a 13-0 third-quarter run for a critical 45-30 lead.

Bryan Gregory, who scored 22 points, answered Derek Johnson’s three-pointer with a rebound putback to start the run. Gregory also capped the blitz four free throws, sandwiched around a jumper from Derek Carrier.

That lead allowed Edgerton to finish off the Vikings with free throw after free throw in the fourth quarter.

The Crimson Tide did not register field goal in the fourth quarter until Aaron Laskowski toppped off a 17-point night and the victory on lay-up with three seconds left.

“Coach showed us the shot chart at halftime, and we were getting the ball inside and had some mismatches,” Gregory said. “We just tried to take advantage of it.”

Nick Melton who scored 13 points, pulled Parkview within 53-50 on a fall-away jumper in the lane with 3:34 left. But after Phil Wellnitz was called for charging, Carrier countered with two free throws, and Gregory added another for a 56-50 lead with 2:15 remaining.

Parkview never threatened again as Edgerton made seven of 10 free throws over the final two minutes.

“We didn’t want to get into a free-throw contest, and there was a little frustration with some of the fouls,” Parkview coach Paul Saevre said. “But we enjoyed the challenge and would rather play every game like this, because it only makes us better.”

Adding to the frustration for Parkview was losing leading scorer Alex Mumm for most of the game due to foul trouble before he fouled out with 5:13 remaining.

But this was only the first test of many, Gregory said, in the battle for the conference title.

“It was a big win, but we still have a long way to go,” he said after his unbeaten team climbed back to the top of the Rock by a half-game over Parkview.


Parkview (53)—Wellnitz, 0-4-4; Zipse, 0-2-2; Hanson, 4-1-10; Melton, 4-5-13; Johnson, 1-4-7; Piper, 2-2-6; Woodworth, 2-0-4; Mumm, 3-1-7. Totals: 16-19-53.

Edgerton (65)—Mitchell, 2-5-9; Laskowski, 5-6-17; Eastman, 0-2-2; Carrier, 3-2-8; Towns, 2-2-6; Ludwig, 0-1-1; Gregory, 6-10-22. Totals: 18-28-65.

Orfordville Parkview 13 12 11 17—53

Edgerton 15 15 17 18—65

Three-point goals—Parkview 2 (Hanson, Johnson), Edgerton 1 (Laskowski). Free throws missed—Parkview 9, Edgerton 16. Total fouls—Parkview 30, Edgerton 21. Fouled out—Wellnitz, Johnson, Mumm, Carrier.

Junior varsity—Edgerton 75, Parkview 40

Last updated: 2:06 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print