Fire guts house near Darien

Print Print
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
— The Clinton Fire Department was several miles from the house on Creek Road when the smoke told them they’d be working defense.

A mile away, they could see flames burning through the front of the house at 13448 E. Creek Road, Darien.

The house was destroyed in the fire reported at 12:40 p.m. Tuesday. Residents got out of the house, and no one was hurt.

Firefighters couldn’t enter the building when they got to the scene. When the fire was under control, they used a backhoe from Darien to pull down the part of the house that couldn’t be reached from the ground.

Firefighters saw that the blaze probably started in the wall near the wood-burning stove, Clinton Fire Chief John Rindfleisch wrote in a news release. The house was too damaged for firefighters to officially report the cause of the fire.

As Clinton firefighters approached the fire, Rindfleisch warned other responders of two things: Blowing and drifting snow made the drive “treacherous” and cut some roads to one lane. Also, the wooden bridge over the railroad tracks a mile from the home blocked access directly from the west.

First responders from Turtle, Darien, Sharon, Walworth and Whitewater as well as Rock, Walworth and Boone counties joined Clinton. Departments used 70,500 gallons of water to put out the fire.

While on scene, firefighters rotated through rehab for safety checks and to stay warm, the release stated.

Last updated: 3:39 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print