Police: Student who threatened violence didn't bring gun to school

Print Print
Stacy Vogel
Thursday, April 24, 2008
— A Milton High School student arrested Wednesday threatened to shoot specific students and staff, but he did not bring a gun to school, Milton police said.

“He did threaten generally the school and the student body, but he did also threaten specific students and specific staff,” Sgt. John Conger said.

Conger declined to say which students and staff the boy threatened and said there was no “hit list” as far as police know.

The 16-year-old boy was arrested in his home, and the high school was put on lockdown after students reported hearing threats on Tuesday and Wednesday morning, a news release from the Milton Police Department said.

Four or five students reported the threats to school officials, who then reported them to Jason Casper, school resource officer, around 7:40 a.m., Sgt. Jim Schumacher said.

Officials put the school on lockdown at about 8:15 a.m. when they couldn’t find the suspect. Students were kept in classrooms and classroom doors were locked, Casper said.

The boy came to school briefly Wednesday but then went home, Superintendent Peg Ekedahl said. He was found and arrested in his Milton home on a disorderly conduct charge just before 9 a.m., police said. The lockdown ended at 9:10 a.m.

Police did not find a gun when they arrested the boy, Schumacher said. The boy’s family does not keep guns in the home, and the boy’s mother was looking through his room and belongings Wednesday to see if he had one, Schumacher said.

Casper never dealt with the boy at school, but the boy was arrested outside of school once for “a violent act,” he said.

The students who reported the threats said the boy was upset about problems at home and with his girlfriend, Schumacher said.

Schumacher didn’t want to speculate about how serious the boy was in his threats, he said.

“We obviously have to take this very seriously,” he said.

Ekedahl said she was out of the district Wednesday but was pleased by school officials’ response.

“Everyone handled the matter professionally and calmly, and everyone was safe, which is all that we can hope for in such instances,” she said.

Last updated: 8:54 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print